IGNORED

How much difference does it make?

18 hours ago, PeterSt said:

It could be not so common to see a head to tail SNR of 135dB (thus from PC-software running on a PC to output of power amp). Some will say that this is totally unnecessary. Perhaps that is correct.

I have also come to accept, from (my comparatively limited) listening experience and no designing/building experience, that system S/N or (and/or?) noise-floor and audible S/N or (and/or?) noise-floor are not related as one would expect, so what's generally accepted to be limits of audibility for noise and for distortion(s) shouldn't be referred to in the context of equipment measured performance.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

18 minutes ago, STC said:

Linn discovered that by making better TT, it improved the sound. He discovered it by placing his TT in another room which improved the sound. His reasoning was and correctly too for mechanical device like a TT that the sound from the loudspeakers causes degradation in the playback. 

He continued to emphasis on good source to sell his TT and his initial reasoning was misunderstood or intentionally used to sell a better TT. The source here was the reference to a better vibration immune TT. 

In room, the ratio of sound from the source ( which is now the speaker) is always mixed with room acoustics. Even in nearfield listening, you will have at least 10% of room sound reaching your ears. In normal listening environment it is more than 50 percent and in concert hall it is about 90 percent. The improvement there can be clearly audible with the same source. There are many videos of sound before and after room treatment.

He (Tiefenbrun) tried but could never make good speakers? 😶

1 hour ago, GregWormald said:

I haven't listened to Linn speakers since the Kaber (designed by an Australian, Dr Rod Crawford) but they were excellent and I bought a pair.

Rod recommended tri-wiring for noticeable improvements (I tried it and agreed) and substantial improvements by tri-amping actively (which I couldn't afford at the time). Hence my speaker upgrade was to a 4 active channel per speaker (SGRs in current drive mode).

I thought I was finished upgrading 🤣 until I auditioned several of my favourite LPs after ultrasonic cleaning. The cleaning improved the overall sound quality and musical enjoyment significantly. (Only 750 albums still to clean.🙄)

I had a pair of Linn Helix IIs back in the day. I wouldn't know if they were any good because I was only 19 at the time... 🙃 (sold them to a friend who still has them)

I wonder if they were also designed by Crawford,  whom I'd never heard of before?

Found a couple of interviews:

https://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/dr-rod-crawford-of-legend-acoustics-interviewed-at-the-melbourne-av-show-397103

http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/Backup-old-site/legendstory.php

P.S.: worst grill design ever by the way, kept popping out...