IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of… Peter Gabriel’s So

@JoshM - really, really great  ... not only really interessting and fun to read but also animated me to listen to a few Gabriel albums the last days again.

As far as the ranking of the albums I have a slightly different take. "Melt" and "Security" are classics of the past while "So" was directed to the future ... and still is somehow fresh, modern and inspiring even today. Which also has to do with the sound and the overall atmosphere and attitude of the album.

And yes, the 2012 48/24 version is absolutley gorgeous (but the original 1986 CD is still impressive).

For me personally the ranking would be:

1. So

2. Us

3. probably Ovo - for "Low Light", "Father, Son" and "Make Tomorrow" (with the incredibly touching voice of Paul Buchanan)

I love all his albums, though ... but I also listen to "Scratch" pretty rarely (once in 2 years or so?).

Fortunately we don't have to make a ranking 🙂

Many thanks for the article!

On 5/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, ted_b said:

I often use Tony's stick and the percussion at the last minute of Don't Give Up to set up one of my comparisons.

Bass. On this track he doesn't play the Stick.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

I think the issue with Scratch is that Gabriel is one of the perhaps rare artists whose work gets better (rather than more overcooked) the more he works on it. In hindsight, Fripp’s spontaneous methods just weren’t a good match. 

quite possible - good point!

6 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

For me personally the ranking would be:

1. So

2. Us

3. probably Ovo - for "Low Light", "Father, Son" and "Make Tomorrow" (with the incredibly touching voice of Paul Buchanan)

damn ... confused "Us" and "Up".

But also like "Us" a lot ... so who cares 😌

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX