IGNORED

How cool is a digital poweramp (Class D and alternatives) running compared to classic Class AB ?

gdpr

As spring & summer are approaching (slow this year compared to last) I will be not be able to use my dear Ayre MX-Twenty-R power amps, as they produce too much heat.

As a 1st step, I have decided to acquire a headphone set (Sennheiser HD800s) to be used in combination with my T+A 8 DSD dac, which has a decent Headphone amplifier.

Still, as I have no expereince at all with headphones, I will need to learn appreciate them.  With some music (already difficult with speakers) I find it impossible to use headphones, as the soundstage does not get enough space (/time) to develop/integrate itself.

E.g. I am a fan of Rodrogo & Gabriela, but listening to their records through headphones is just not working for me.  My brain is getting crazy trying to follow the right and left channels output with not a millisecond of time to create a soundstage.

OK, back to the topic question.

I would like to explore  alternatives for my current amps, that would not heat up my dedicated music room (directly under the ceiling).  As I have VERY sensitive neighbours, there is no way to create some kind of airflow (unless using airco adding a lot of noise).

So, besides the headphones, my 1st step would be to investigate the possibility of using digital amps with my current speakers Magico V3's.  

Later on, I may probably investigate digital speakers as well, but Magico has killed the resale value of my V3's by the new A3's offering.

Looking forward to personal experiences with digital power amps running cool (or not) and hopefully still a nice sound quality.

Dirk

4 hours ago, satbox said:

I use a class D dual mono power amp based on hypex NC500 modules with a T+A DAC 8 DSD and Magico A3. At normal listening volumne (around 70-75dB), the amp do not heat.

Great to hear.

Happy with the A3?

Dirk