IGNORED

Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings

I've just downloaded this great album from HDTracks in 24/192. It covers everything John Coltrane recorded in 1958 in chronological order and lasts for over 5 hours. For once, the digital download is a bargain, it is normally 33 pounds from HDTracks UK, but they are doing a 10% discount until the end of March, and so I got it for only 28 pounds. The CD and vinyl editions come with a book, and unfortunately you don't get a PDF of that with the download. But the CD boxed set is 85 pounds, and the vinyl boxed set is 220 pounds. Here is a video of the producer describing the project:

http://mediakits.concordmusicgroup.com/p/coltrane-58/nick-phillips-interview-video.html

I haven't had time to listen to any of it yet, but I'm optimistic that it will be a high quality mastering.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

25 minutes ago, CatManDo said:

I probably won't get this, as I already have most of the tracks in hi-rez, with the original albums released in 24/192 in 2016. These sound very good.

Highresaudio offers the new set in 24-96 only, with this explanation:

"Please Note: We offer this album in its native sampling rate of 96 kHz, 24-bit. The provided 192 kHz version was up-sampled and offers no audible value! "

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/re4yfz/john-coltrane-coltrane-58-the-prestige-recordings-remastered

It's sad that no booklet is included with the download.

It does say somewhere that the vinyl was mastered from the 24/192 version, and so I would be surprised if it was upsampled from 24/96. At 45 euros the Highresaudio download is more expensive than the HDTracks version.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot