IGNORED

T+A new flagship streaming dsd1024 dac

Has anyone tested (or owned) the T+A SD-3100HV or SDV-3100HV by any chance? Earlier in this thread, there were some questions around Ethernet connection and the ability to play DSD files over ethernet and which Dacs were capable of doing this.

The last time I emailed T+A directly (approx 6 months ago), they clearly stated that DSD was only supported via USB and not via ethernet. Some of the posts in this thread seem to indicate the opposite, unless I am misreading...

I use roon on a NAS (with Roon ROCK running on a fanless NUC). The whole os connected via ethernet to a Network DAC (in my case the Auralic Vega G1).  Would the SDV 3100HV slot in the place of the Auralic and accept DSD over ethernet in this config (and become the Roon endpoint)?

• 2 months later...

Coming back to DSD support via ethernet: I just read the review of the MP 3100 HV in Stereophile, which seems to confirm my earlier info I got from T+A themselves. The higher resolution DSD/DSF files (DSD128, DSD256 and higher) are not supported via ethernet. Only via USB. So my understanding is then: if I run Roon from NUC to MP3100HV via ethernet, Roon will down-rez the DSD128 and up. If I run Roon from my NUC via USB to the MP3100HV, the resolution is supported. Is the SD 3100 different from th MP 3100?

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

There's a reason people buy ethernet to USB streamers....

Sure, but that adds another link in the chain, another conversion from one interface to another and that usually is not conducive to improvement in the sound. You could just get a top USB cable and connect the NUC to the T+A that way. I'm just trying to avoid USB as I am not a fan. YMMV.