IGNORED

Farad supercap DC power supplies

On 11/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, Tommd64 said:

I have now compared 2 farads extensively with various other power supplies such as S-booster, Keces P8-8amp version and Keces P8 double version 12 and 15 volts and the SotM SpS500 SMPS power supply.  I tested them on the Mytek Brooklyn + and the Sotm SmS200 ultra and the SotM tx-usb ultra.  At the Farads I opted for the version with Highend Fuses silver and Copper Level 2 cable.  The Farad is obeying the winner with a nice tight low and open high.  The Sotm comes close and has the advantage that the voltage is switchable.  The Keces is the most powerful of the 3 but slightly less balanced in my opinion.

Hi,

I currently own and use a sps-500 in 9v mode to power my sotm snh-10g. With your experience, would you say that a 9v farad super3 stock delivers an uptick in detail over the sps-500...and any additional add ons further increase the performance? Or would you say that as I already use an sps-500 it really isnt worth changing?

Thanks for any input

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, M_audio said:

How long is the burn in time for Farad - 5V?
I have the version with Supreme 3 fuse.

Hey,

I found that straight away this PSU was a cut above what I had before. I do have the copper DC cable though. I found I didn't like the silver, it stripped the soul out if the music. Detail was there but too clinical. 

4 hours ago, M_audio said:

Huh, let's hope AS silver will not be too much. 
I already use a silver cable, i think Curious USB is silver, and it works great for that.

Yeah I tried both the silver and copper and for my set up it stripped the guts out of the music. The copper cable keeps my sound organic and analogue sounding.

18 hours ago, M_audio said:

So the sensible signature Silver for Audio DC cable came and - also straight away does not sound that bad. Actually it sounds quiet good. A bit more bite than standard Farad cable, and yes brighter but in positive sense, lightning the music from inside up. A bit sharper, faster. This is the first impression, lets hear what it will sound like after smoe 100 hours. Also the Orange tube hast maybe 10 hours yet.
Thievery Corp Dj-Kicks sounds beautiful and more live than with standard cable. Right form the box.

I personally didn't get on with the FARAD silver cable. Yes there was detail but it seemed to sick the life out of the music. Very flat and dry. The Stage 2 copper was a different beast. Everything that was missing using the silver returnedl

Can't remember but it was the shorter of the options.

I bought both the copper and silver stage 2 cables. I had high hopes for the silver but was very disappointed. I left it in for a few days then switched back to the copper. Yes it may have improved over time but couldn't see it changing that much lol. Strange though, a lot of people like the silver offering

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, JBL said:

Once your Super3 has sufficient burn in I would recommend trying a solid core starquad DC cable.  There is a great thread on the Uptone forum on how to build your own starquad DC cable if you are comfortable using a soldering iron.  I have 4 of the Super3's in my system and started with a stock DC cable. Moved up to the Level 2 silver then eventually made my own using 18awg solid core pure silver in teflon tubing with starquad twist.  The amount of improvement in the SQ was greater than the addition of the Super3 on its own.  I believe Audio Sensibility makes a very nice DC cable although it is not starquad which plays a significant part in the SQ improvement.

The combination of Super3, Purple Fuse, high quality power cord, and solid core starquad DC cable is pretty incredible.

Here is a picture of my first starquad cable I built.

JBL

super3 starquad.jpg

Interesting.

I tested both the Copper and Silver level 2 DC cables and preferred the copper tbh. Silver stripped the guts out of the music. I have the orange fuse as it's a couple of years old DC now.

Can't say I've heard of Star Quad DC cables, but your comments have me interested. I won't be building any myself but I will look to see what's out there. 

Cheers