IGNORED

Article: Quick Take: The Linear Solution DS-1 Network Streamer

Subject: Better clock on USB 

When I had the original Uptone Audio USB regen I read the positive posts about users modding the regen with the NewClassD  oscillator.

There was much skepticism to the post coming from all sides  - especially considering the lead length required from  external mounting of the larger board. 

Given the NewClass D was $479 I got lucky to find a few  24Mhz TCXOs on the shelf at Connor Winfield for $25 a piece with phase Noise performance similar to the Crystec 575.

The form factor was off by a few mm and hence it looked like a monster truck pulling a wheelie when soldered to the pads .

The wheelie end was power and N/C :)

But the improvement was in the listening - typical of a better clock: the image snapped into a clearer focus, better transients, better sense of ease....

On a murkier speculation, when I heard about Aurender using an OCXO in their N10 Music Server, Mark Jenkins of Antipodes Audio asserted that in his experiments with OCXO and TCXO, clock made no difference. Since the Antipodes DX2 integrated the server and renderer into one platform I was curious if HW-wise, whether there was a separate clock for the rendering function that could be improved. I suspect it was all integrated in SW but am not sure. I have since upgraded to the DX3.

I have found austinpop's reviews and system component comparisons very useful. Thanks.