IGNORED

New mac mini

PerK

just ordered the new Mac mini. What do you think about it as a media server.

i was waiting for the new one to arrive as managed no F-upp the connector to the fan In my old mac mini while replacing HD to SSD. so for a couple of years it has been standing on laptop cooler,?

is there any benefit using the new usb-c/thunderbolt connection while playing music. ?

I am using audirvana to my dac

11 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Two items.

I accidentally removed the connector for the fan while swapping out SSD drives in one of my Mini’s. 

Sent it to a place in NYC and they repaired the motherboard for around 90.00. They advertise on eBay. They fixed the power up issue in a 2009 model I had with motherboard surgery and it lasted another five years.

I think TB1/TB2 buss is huge. But have a couple TB buss interfaces  to utilize it. If you have a FiveWire interface the TB port with an Apple TB to FW converter sounds better than the FW buss. 

Also now using a Corning optical Thunderbolt cable to connect Mini to dac. It does have galvanic isolation. And costs less than many USB2 cables and also the multitude of USB gadgets. 

The newer Mac Mini’s may be better than the old ones. But I like being able to install 16 GB of 1600 MHz ram in one for 80.00. Plus install larger and better SSD. The Samsung 860 Pro in 500 GB are now under a 100.00.

I purchased two spares instead of a new one. 

Well i live in Sweden and did not find anywhere to repair my old mac mini. 

The memory is upgradable in the new mac mini. But the SSD is not. I don't se that as a problem,  i am using external disc to store music and film files. 

I think i have seen on software forum that it is recommended to have the external disc on thunderbolt connection.

Dac i will be using regular USB-a connection. But i guess it is possible to connect the Dac also to USB-C/thunderbolt connection using an adapter.  

1 minute ago, Panelhead said:

I thought the Ram is welded in now. Supposedly more reliable, but never heard anyone needing to reseat the SO-DIM modules. 

Mac mini

2012 sq-dimm

2014 soldered memory

2018 sq.dimm up to 64GB

if you choose to upgrade to 64gb on apple shop. It cost whooping 1400 dollar