IGNORED

NOS Confusion

I’m all confused, please set me straight. This site has loads of great information, but I’m in over my head. I have a Mac Mini and a 5 year old USB Stereo-Link model 1200. I cant find the literature for the USB DAC but I believe it’s a 20 bit non over sampling converter. My music consists of standard cd’s ripped in Apple Lossless for use in iTunes. I have no idea what 20 bit NOS really means. My system sounds very good and I can enjoy listening for hours on end. The DAC was inexpensive ($169) and I’ve always wondered what a better DAC would do for the system. My problem is I don’t know where to begin because I don’t really understand (or really want to) the bit’s/kHz stuff. It looks like DAC’s have gained a resurgence in popularity with many manufactures getting in the game. I’d like to upgrade.

With a $400 budget should I upgrade?

Do I want NOS?

Do I need/want USB connectivity?

Do I need a special DAC for high res music? I don’t have any yet and can live w/o if it costs a lot.

Do some of the manufactures besides Benchmark allow returns for home testing?

The rest of the system: Krell KAV 400xi, Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home

Hi Rick,

You've got a number of options for how to best implement a DAC in a computer system. There are great USB and Firewire DACs out there, and you can take advantage of either with a Mac Mini. In general, async USB implementations are more highly regarded than non-async USB implementations (though there are good non-async USB options out there). If you are only playing music from your computer to your DAC, you might want to look at the HRT Streamer line. All are great, but I think there is a big pump from the II to the II+. I have the Pro, but you need a balanced set-up to get the most out of the Pro. All of the current HRTs are async and can do 24/96 files. Music Direct sells these (and some other DACs like the new Music Fidelity that might be worth considering). They have a 30 day return policy and are great to work with. I believe that other online audio stores also have similar policies, but I don't have experience with them.

NOS, in the context of DACs, stands for "non-oversampling." These DACs have a distinctive sound that I will leave someone with more experience with them to describe...

BTW In the context of vacuum tubes, NOS stands for "New Old Stock" (old tubes that have never been used. Highly valued by tube lovers, and sometimes very expensive).

Rick U wrote:

My system sounds very good and I can enjoy listening for hours on end.

I don't think you should make any change if you are enjoying your system. If there is something bothering you or you want a specific capability, you might consider making a change at that point. Otherwise keep enjoying the performance of your system as it stands.

Alan

I know it can result in too much obsessing and a lack of blessed contentment, but I think I'd try some things out from stores or companies with trial periods or generous return policies. You may well find out that you are happy with what you have and an upgrade isn't worth it. Or you will hear things that you never appreciated before and this may open up a new, greater appreciation for your music because you can hear so much detail or many of the other different qualities of music that a change of components might reveal.

-Roscoe

My integrated amp does have balanced inputs. Do you think I should test both the II+ and the Pro? The Pro outputs 4.5v. Is that standard for XLR? Could I hook them both up and do a/b comparisons. That might be hard if the output from the pro is twice the power. Are the streamers designed specifically for high res music or will they theoretically help all digital music?

Oh, the Streamers should help all music. Yes, 4.5V or other higher voltage is normal for balanced outputs. I'd a/b them if you can afford to buy both simultaneously. Better than listening to us blowhards give our opinions. You can judge whether the Pro is worth the extra money or not (and report back your findings to us).

That said, I preferred the Pro over a II+, particularly once I'd gotten a balanced amp.

I've narrowed down to three. Which one should I order?

HRT Music Streamer II+ $349

Cambridge Dac Magic $429 + wires $125 = $554

HRT Music Streamer Pro $400 + wires $125 = $625

The Dac Magic will offer flexibility with multiple inputs. This one is up sampling but does not appear to have the asynchronous usb feature.

Both HRT units get great reviews and I like the idea they are powered through the usb. Do they power down when the computer goes to sleep? If I go with the Pro I'll need the balanced connection wires. Does the Streamer Pro sound $276 better than the Streamer II+ ? I might be wrong but I assume the HRT units are not up sampling but able to handle hi res input signals.

Right now 100% of my music is ripped from standard CD's and played back through iTunes.