IGNORED

All-right to take remastered tracks?

No, if a track is remastered then considerable work has been put into it by the mastering engineer and so this is then a different track!

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

So, let's pretend I have the LP "Never Mind The Bollocks" from The Sex Pistols, which I bought when I was 14 (back in 1980... my first LP!). Is it OK to copy the CD that I don't own myself? Someone did made an effort to transfer the analogue master tape to digital, since CD did not exist back then.

I know your answer: it's not allowed. But do you think it's fair that I have to pay full price for it, compared to someone who does not own the LP? After all, The Sex Pistols did not record their album all over again, did they? I could have transferred the LP to digital myself, with some loss in quality, but completely legal.

This illegal copying, to me, is not a right/wrong thing. Do you expect me to pay to listen to adds? Nobody does. To me, most music played on the radio is just that: adds. If you want to make a chance for your Rock band to play on the summer festivals here in Belgium, you better make sure that Studio Brussel gives you some airplay. Taking control of this music yourself by illegaly copying it and playing it when you like is not that much different. You still pay to see the bands you like perform live. 25 years ago, there were maybe two summer festivals with 12 bands each over here. Today, it's exploded. That's telling something. It's a new ball game. Adapt or die. I see artists live now that never even came to Belgium back then, because they made enough money selling albums not to bother.

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

That's the heart of the question...

No, legally you can't make a copy of someones remastered Beatles (or whoever's) CDs because you own the original realease.

Equally if you own the vinyl you can't (legally) make a copy of someone's CD of the same release.

But then (in the UK) you can't (legally) make a FLAC version of a CD.

What is morally right is between you, your conscience and whatever god you worship.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.