IGNORED

which storage to combine with PS Audio PWD + Network Bridge

What would yield a better sound, playing 96/24 content:

1. An Ubuntu NAS with RAID 5 to go with my PWD and Network Bridge, 1 GB wired network Cat5e;

or

2. A G5 Macmini with SSD + Firewire HD hooked up to the PWD with an optical cable ? The Macmini would run iTunes + Amarra.

If I understand the folks from PS Audio correctly, the PWD reclocks etc. the data it receives from any source, so even if the source (like a NAS) is not 100% perfect, it won't make a difference.

I have a small preference to hook up the PWD + Network Bridge to the NAS.

Thanks for the input.

Jack

**** F R E E T I B E T ****

At least theoretically, the audio produced by PWD + Bridge from a UPnP server will be superior to a computer source via optical.

Eloise

PS. Do you mean G4 MacMini, there was never a G5 one!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As I understand the technology PS Audio have put in these devices, there is a 'Lens' in the Bridge and the PWT (Transport) but not in the PWD (DAC). Hence reclocking via buffer memory is not available direct into the PWD but is available via the Bridge (and the PWT). Hence Eloise is correct, and more than "theoretically" if the reviewers are to be believed.

I only have the PWT which is the best transport I've heard (and plays hi-res).

I'm waiting for the stand-alone Lens product so that I can route all other sources through that to my Bel Canto DAC3 (with VBS). The Lens will also have a slot for the Bridge so I can move from streaming via Apple TV Airtunes (now Airplay) to a NAS with hi-res audio.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Yes indeed, skip the optical direct connection, it will not be as good as a NAS streaming to the bridge with the aforementioned benefits of the lens, etc. The sound quality continues to amaze me. Just got the DVD-A rip of Fleetwood Mac Rumours going, and the 24bit/96KHz mix of this sounds amazing from my NAS to the bridge/PWD combo.

Let us know how things turn out.

-Brian