IGNORED

What's the deal with Amarra? Software choice for recording and playback

j20056

I'm new to computer based audiophile, but very experienced studio recording with ProTools.

I'm finally moving from iTunes compressed to ALAC (I will re-rip my CD collection in 16/44.1 lossless), but more importantly, I want to download purchased 24/96 and 24/192 digital music, as well as ripping my SACD collection.

Now, I obviously don't plan to use iTunes for anything else than ALAC 24/44.1, therefore I must select a software for higher resolutions, both for recording and for playback.

I can't really use proTools for recording, because I use the LE version of ProTools (and associated hardware) and it only handles 24/96.

Question 1:

What software is recommended to record at 24/96 or 24/192? I just want to capture the Firewire coming from my DAC (probably a Weiss DAC2 haven't bought one yet). Can Amarra record?

Question 2: What software (if different) is recommended for playback? Currently, I have been using SongBird as it can handle all hi-resolutions.

I see that Amarra 2.0 nicely integrates into iTunes, but is that worth $695? What does Amarra do *sonically* that SongBird cannot? As long as my files are properly recorded and I don't want to alter them via EQ or anything, how could a player versus another not all generate the same *exact* stream back to my DAC?

Thanks