IGNORED

Toslink Digital Input on a MacBook

blueixus

Toslink seems to be held in quite low esteem on this forum as an output route from Mac/PC to DAC

My question is does the same reservations apply to Toslink as an Input route.

I am interested in views on connecting an ADC to my MacBook via Toslink for digitising some vinyl. I do not want use sampling rates higher than 96/24 (the limit of Toslink) so that is not an issue but SQ is. I really only want to do this job once!

Are Toslinks weakness as an output vehicle the same as if it used for inputs?

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I.G is that because Firewire is a standard in the pro world due to daisy chaining etc.

I have no doubt Firewire works and works well, but is Toslink so poor for input?

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I have a Black Macbook 2.4gHz which combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (and line out)- both are Toslink Mini Jacks.

Model year is Early 2008 which makes it a MB404LL/A in Apple speak.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe every mac currently in production has a combo mini-stereo toslink input, just like its output. I know my black macbook, my kid's aluminum macbook, my MBP at work, and our last gen mini all do.

edit: correction, it appears the current white macbook does not have separate audio/in-out jacks, and it says "it supports digital out" which would imply analog in only.

Since the days of old (2003 or 4), most decent Macs and then later, all Macs, have been outfitted with toslink. It is of decent quality, for sure, but not 100%. I found that the output of a 77$ DAC/HP amp, the Firestone Fireye II -- http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/10/16/fireye-ii-usbdac-headphone-amp-in-review/ -- actually put out cleaner digital data (though its HPO wasn't great).

TouchMyApps headphones reviews