IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

I was planning to buy the Digione soon, but this changes my plans a bit...

I have a question to Allo: Compared to the standard Digione, should I expect an improvement in the sound if I use two simple 5V SPMS for now? Getting a good power supply for the clear side is something that requires a bit of research, so it will take me some time to get there...

Also, using a battery is not very practical due to the need for restarts, as the rest of the family should be able to use it without much fiddling.

For the sake of completeness, I am currently using a hifiberry+volumio.

PS: the two power supply plugs are USB-C, right?

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, 01svtL said:

Ah ok.  Mine came as a a player, so I hadn’t had a look at the board itself.  I just wanted to be sure I had it right. 

Before you built the case for it, did listen to it first?  When you connected power first to the clean side, did any lights come on anywhere on either of the two boards?

There is a green led light on the Digione board. If I recall correctly, it comes on when you power the clean side. For sure it should be on when you power up everything. However it can be disabled by the removal of one jumper (which I have now done). I got the Digione card separately, so it might be that the player has the led jumper disconnected from the beginning..

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I've got a Digione Signature/Rpi 3B+ powered by a Shanti and connected to a Naim nDAC. All is working well but I was wondering if I should also ground the Digione via the Shanti grounding connector. Not sure if it is necessary as the nDAC provides the signal ground for the HiFi system.

Anyway, in case I want to experiment, what is the easiest way to do so? Going via the GPIO connectors seems a bit fiddly. I was wondering if I could plug in a cheap USB cable in one of the USB ports, dismantle the other side and connect the GND cable to Shanti. Is there any risk or potential issue by doing so?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Thanks for the response. Not sure if nDAC can get its signal grounding via the SPDIF connection, and therefore if "Floating" is the "correct" setting. That's probably a question for the Naim forum though! 🙂

Anyway, it seems safe to ground the RPI via a USB port as far as I can tell, so I will try it out in due course. The experiment should only cost 2-3 euros for the cheapest USB cable I can find!

Cheers!

Ahh, since you have a CDX analog out connected to the pre-amp, this is enforced to be your signal earth reference (no option for "chassis"/"floating" there) so you are right to have the nDAC as "floating". That should be the optimal indeed. Thanks for the clarification!