IGNORED

I'm interested in opinions on Plex and if it's possible to get bit perfect output

SidHo

I discovered Plex a few days ago and am very impressed with it. The only thing is it's output is not bit perfect for some reason it changes output to DAC to 48 from the original 44.1. Why it would do this or some programmer thought it was beneficial I don't know.

Does any one out there have any experience with Plex and if it is possible to get bit perfect output?

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

I use Plex sometimes...

Just tested it and

1) on start up output bit-rate (displayed in Audio MIDI) is set to 48khz.

2) you change the bit-rate once Plex is started.

3) there is no auto sample rate selection.

4) output appears (to the DAC) at the rate selected in Audio MIDI (I can't tell if SRC occurs in Plex or in CoreAudio)

XBMC (on MacOS X) appears to work in the same manner.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

XBMC and Plex can play bit-perfect, but (under Mac OS X) there is no automatic sample rate selection, therefore you have to manually select the output sample rate in the Audio MIDI application (as you have to for iTunes).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.