IGNORED

Audioengine D1 Vs Dragonfly black (DAC only) ESS 9010 Vs. AK4396

On 7/9/2018 at 2:06 PM, Phonautograph said:

I am only interested for using both of them as an alternative to my PC's built in soundcard and use them as a source for my modest (5.5" Edifier s2000v internaly amped by LM3886) stereo bookshelf monitors , and avoid the hastle of dedicated PCI-E soundcards drivers and noise from internal pc electronics 
All the reviews I've seen for the dragonfly and D1 compare the amped output for the D1 (OPA2134) with the dragonfly (where the dragonfly provides better overall performance) , But I haven't seen a comparison against the pre amp output (which would be used with monitors) of the D1 ( AK4396) vs the output of the dragonfly (ESS9010)

Which would be better for the specified use ? and the options where i live are very limited i can only buy used equipment and there isn't other options within my budget available in my country 

For your particular application, I would surmise there is little difference between the two in terms of sound quality.

Dragonfly advantages:

- Works with iPhone, smaller, can use it for that if you want

- Volume is software driven - much better for a computer setup like yours, you have to deal with multiple volume controls otherwise

- Can render MQA (feature or bug? I am not committing)

D1 advantages:

- Optical and USB in

- Both pre out and headphone out - convenient on the desktop

- 192/24 (DF does 96/24)

For a strictly desktop application, I would go with the D1 since you can drive the speakers and if you want seamlessly use headphones.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics