IGNORED

Cary MS-1

I don't want to build my own music server. I'd prefer to buy a simple USB server that has a good interface via iPhone or web, and produces reference quality sound. I'll be feeding an Ayon CD-5.

The Cary MS-1 seems ideal, but am I missing any drawbacks here? Also, are there other plug-and-play products that I should consider? I saw Naim has a couple hard-drive servers but they are not USB and I've read that USB is the way to go. Maybe I'm mistaken here.

I tried computer audio before, the build it yourself route, and everything just sat around, wasn't used, and eventually was given away. I was using Empirical Audio's USB off-ramp w/ a server but the whole ripping, and what software to use, and what settings to set, etc etc proved to be too complicated than I cared for and I just kept on spinning discs.

Thanks for the input.

I would recommend a Mac mini with interface of your choice (offramp, Weiss, Hiface etc.). Ripping in iTunes is good, playback is adequate with options to upgrade using the same graphic interface. Remote works well on iPhone.

• 2 months later...