IGNORED

Volume On DAC's

I just want to get clear on a few simple points regarding volume controls on dac's. Do the dials on the Benchmark and Antelope etc. simply attenuate signal? Do some attenuate the signal analog while others do it digitally? Are preamps and integrated (combination preamp and power amp) unnecessary since the dac'c output level is correct for power amp input level?

Thanks,

Bugs

I just want to get clear on a few simple points regarding volume controls on dac's. Do the dials on the Benchmark and Antelope etc. simply attenuate signal? Do some attenuate the signal analog while others do it digitally?

Both the Benchmark and Antelope DACs incorporate an analogue volume control to attenuate the level. Lavry DACs (IIRC) have a digitally controlled analogue volume, where as the Berkerley DAC and the dCS DACs have volume controls that work at the digital level. The Weiss DACs have combined with rough analogue attenuation and fine digital attenuation.

Are preamps and integrated (combination preamp and power amp) unnecessary since the dac'c output level is correct for power amp input level?

It depends ... some DACs are properly designed to level match most power amps, but there is still some need to match impedence between the DAC's output and the input of the power amp. A lot of systems also still incorporate analogue sources, or want to switch some form of AV system into the mix.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.