IGNORED

First streamers featuring Dirac Live®

On June 9, 2018 at 10:51 AM, PorkChop said:

This looks like the one-box solution I've been hoping for.  Because it has analog out, that means it's doing the rendering too, correct? 

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean I can go digital straight to DAC/preamp/speakers without needing another computer in the mix?  If so, I'm not following how to configure for multichannel playback.  Would a MC DAC like the Exasound be recognized properly using spdif in?

I am not following the Mch playback either.  I thought 4 channels went out with Quad in the '70s.  Today, you need at least 6, maybe 8.  That is before getting into Immersive 3D, which is a different ballgame, sensibly not addressed by this device.

If your source is a PC and you wish to use a Mch Exasound with 5/7.1 Mch source material, as Kal and I do, I do not see what this device adds to the party.  It only clutters things up and seriously hamstrings them.

I do go straight from PC to Exasound to amps/speakers now in  Mch, using JRiver and Dirac Live on the PC.   It works quite satisfyingly.  This device would be beyond useless to me.

Understood.  I am fortunate in being able to connect with my Exasound DAC from a standard, tower PC in the next room via a hole in the wall and 5 meter USB and HDMI cables.  So, direct connection and none of the problems of hooking up to a client in the listening room,  and no added expense for a "silent" PC either, I am happy to say.  No PC fan or disc noise, either.

But, still, a PC client claiming to do Mch, but with only 4 channels?  Not a winning proposition, in my view.  

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, aaa said:

4 Channel output is  perfect for 2.2 stereo.  

Yes, now I get it.  Also, testing of this device at ASR forum reveals it is pretty good, setting new, higher standards for miniDSP.  I think it may be a good solution for many who have been frustrated with proper sub integration in stereo.

I don’t need it, since I am already doing Mch using bass management.