IGNORED

Hi Res Downloads from Danish label Dacapo

for those interested in Classical music:

A reminder about yet another label that has started selling Hi Res downloads.

The Danish label Dacapo has got some new classical downloads ranging from 24/48-88,2 to 96khz.

I downloaded the 8 gigabyte flac set of 16 symphonies by the relatively unknown Danish 20 century composer Rued Langaard.

Fast and efficient download speed at least to Sweden. All done in about two hours.

The music is mainly relatively easy listening of the late romantic style of Schumann and such.

The whole set has been reviewed and discussed at SA-CD.net for those wanting more info.

Unfortunately their pricing is a bit steep ie about the same as LINN without Special OFFER.

The good thing is that I got the whole 8 gigabyte fro 20 € ,before they realised that they had priced it as a single work download!

Best bargain so far.

New download price 80 €!

I can really recommend the recordings of choral works by Schütz in 24/88.2. The music grows on you, and IMO the sound is better (fuller, less thin) than the Linn recordings I have.

There are presently three Schütz albums available. If I had to choose between the two I have, I would recommend this: http://www.dacapo-records.dk/recording-die-sieben-worte--johannes-passion.aspx

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Thanks for the advice I´ll keep it in mind.

Meanwhile I just downloaded both Bach´s B-minor Mass and Mattheus Passion from Linn for a total of of 21 €.Special offer price.

My latest download from Dacapo was Sunleif Rasmussen´s Symphony Oceanic Days and his Saxophone Concerto. Both very good contemporary works for large orchestra and very realistic naturally balanced recordings.

All the best Chrille

I'll check out Sunleif Rasmussen. BTW, speaking of saxophone concertos, I can also recommend Anders Koppel's sax concerto on Dacapo. Only 16/44.1, but about as good as that gets.

What is your opinion on the Bach albums from Linn? I already have the B minor mass with Suzuki on BIS, but ripped from CD with a rather unegaging sound, so I might want to try out the Linn offer ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Hello Encore,

I have also heard the BIS version and although being used to larger scale versions from an earlier generation like Karajan and Klemperer, I find it musically quite interesting.

The LINN version is also a scaled down,sort of HIP take on BACH as was BIS´s.

I have only listened to the B-minor Mass from LINN a couple of times so far.

The alto soloist in the Agnus Dei, may not be quite like Christa Ludwig under Karajan but I still like the performance.

The recording is generally excellent,very clear open ambient and realistic IMHO, but with soloists a bit too closely recorded as is usual these days.

ps I have erased all 16/44.1 files, including the rather opaque and dull sounding BIS BACH, you mentioned, from my harddrives except one: Ann Sophie Mutter playing Gubaidulina.

Simply because the music and playing is so stunning that until I can get it in HI RES I will occasionally, compromise.

I haven´t yet listened to the Saint Matthew Passion but it is included in a Records to Die For List I believe.

I´ll post my opinion of it too later.

All the best Chrille

It is a well known fact that BIS Only records at 44.1 (CD level) and 24 bit for their higher rez SACDs There has been a long discussion on the www.sa-cd net forum about it and also This is the reason their downloads were removed from HDTracks as they were being misold as 24/96.

Trollbuster, I think you misread the preceding posts. We agree that the BIS version is only 16/44.1. Which is why I might want to get the Linn hires version ...

All best,

Jens

I may have be jumping the gun here as Its also know that BIS are going to do HiRez downloads very soon.

There is no secrect that their CEO thinks HIS 44.1/24 is as good as anyone elses genuine hirez or DSD.I assumed that going for BIS downloads was part of the intention.

I may add that Bis appartly sent sacd discs to an American well know firm and they converted the sacds to either 88.1 or 96hz 24 bit for HDTracks.Again this information was well discussed on www.sa-cd.net.

"There is no secrect that their CEO thinks HIS 44.1/24 is as good as anyone elses genuine hirez or DSD."

I didn't know that. In general, I'm not overly enthusiastic with most BIS recordings I have. Like so many other modern recordings, they seem rather distant sounding, as if you're in the back of the top balcony in a theatre. One is really outstanding, though - Pärt: Summa, conducted by Kantorow: http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-CD-834. Highly recommendable despite being 44.1/16. I would certainly buy that in 44.1/24 if it is available. Currently, I'm limited to 48 kHz anyway :-D But I really think the difference between 16 and 24 bit is significant.

In general, I have the same reservation with many other modern recordings, including Linn - they are to distant sounding, and not fleshy enough for my taste. This is where I think that Dacapo seems to have found a better balance, at least on the recordings I have. Disclaimer: I'm Danish, but I have no affiliation with Dacapo, and I would be happy to learn about other labels that strike a similar balance. Harmonia Mundi is one such example - all my HM recordings are really great, even in 44.1/16.

All best,

Jens

I must confess that I find Dacapo ranges from excellent to dull and grainey.

Sorry but I only listen to sacds and give up very quickly on anything that sounds grainy of lacks depth or is CD like.I do have 12 or so Dacapos and sold on a very poor GADE Jealosey disc for the very reason you describe.I have all the LLangaard set which is very mixed in quality even sometime within each disc.Their cost of downloads seems as stupidly expensive as Linn.

I do agree that Linn have almost "reversed "from their vinyl sound

to a more starker digital sound even on sacds.The Mozart late symphonies in the style of Beethovens 7th just sounds as though it was recorded in a concrete room.

The Dacapo Romantic violin concertos maybe is a tad upfront for me.

I ceased buying BIS items a few years ago and resold all those flat sounding items but interestingly I put it down to the fact they mix the stereo from the same mics they use for the surround.This is a hot topic at the moment as I do not like surround sound anymore.It seems to me the lack of ultra highs is fairly serious for stereo imagery and not for surround.

I do get to listen to lots of items as an ebay/amazon seller.I get the impression that BIS solo artists are technical virtuosos? rather than "authentic"performers.Perhaps this is history repeating itself.

Ironically a few BIS concertos of late are considered too much up front centre channel.

I have the Gade disc also, and I don't like it either. I have the Langgaard set also, unfortunately on disc :-( i.e. ripped from disc. I haven't heard it through but in general, I prefer the sound to that of Linn's. Despite being less clear, it's musically sounding.

All best,

Jens