IGNORED

Digital source switches

Does anyone have any experience with/thoughts on digital source switches? I'm looking at the Audio Authority 1177A, so I can run 3 inputs (2 Toslink and 1 coax) to a single out feeding my DAC1 USB - then I don't have to switch the DAC1's input (or switch Toslink cables between the two sources that use it - an Airport Express and my PS3).

It seems like a convenient, and relatively small, piece of equipment, but I've never used one before.

Thanks all!

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

I did take a look at the Inday one as well, but the Audio Authority has automatic switching (which should work for me as only 1 of my sources would be on at any given time).

I'm going to order one and see how it goes - I'll post my findings!

The Inday switcher with a remote looks interesting. However, I generally view such products as being functional and not audiophile. This unit brings the convenience of bringing multiple digital sources together to output to a single digital device like a DAC or DRC unit. But at what effect to the sonics?

I would suspect that toslink to toslink, coax to toslink, coax to coax, and toslink to coax all sound different, just like the various types and brands of digital cables sound different. Then there's the question of how the digital switcher unit itself affects the sound. As is so often the case, I would hope and expect the data input and data output to be identical, the jitter to be different and the sound to be different.

As long as we're on the subject, can Ethernet digital switchers or USB hubs affect the sound? How about multiple of these switchers in series?

I would think that if you want the convenience or need such flexibility, then adding anything in a digital or analog signal path is fine so long as there are no adverse sonics that you find objectionable.

Hi Audiozorro -

"adding anything in a digital or analog signal path is fine so long as there are no adverse sonics that you find objectionable"

We're on the same wavelength - I just don't know what to expect from such a device (hence my initial post). I can live with a little inconvenience (having to switch cables and inputs on the DAC) *if* the switch ends up causing a sonic degradation, but if the effect is minimal, this may be a cool little solution for me. I'll find out in a few days!

This gadget arrived today and I have it all set up. It works perfectly - it automatically switches between the 3 source components I've hooked up to it's inputs (so long as there's only 1 on at a time).

Sonically, I don't think I can hear a difference. I tried going back and forth a few times, using a familiar song, straight into my DAC from my Airport Express (optically), and then into the splitter and out into my DAC (output from the splitter is via coax as I don't have extra optical cables handy). At first I thought there was a little less crispness when going through the switch, but could be my ears playing tricks on me as after a few "back-and-forths" I really couldn't be sure there was a difference.

Caveat: I only have 1 glass optical cable, which is running out from my Airport Express. The cable out from the switcher is a factory issued coax, so that may account for the slightly less crisp sound, if in fact it was real.

I have 3 Supernova 6 cables en route to me, intended for other purposes (bedroom system) but I may try them on both sides of the switch and check if I can hear anything. They won't get here for several days though.

For now, I'm going to live with the switch and see how it sounds after a few days. It is pretty cool.