IGNORED

Which should be upgraded first, DAC or amp?

I want to upgrade from my current DAC (Headroom Ultra Micro DAC), but wonder if I will be able to hear the benefits any new DAC may have without also upgrading my amplification (Rotel 1070 Pre and Power).

One reason for the question is that my local dealer thinks my amp's "dark sound" will mask the subtleties of any new DAC. I think he just wants to make a bigger sale. He may not get any of my upgrade money anyway since I'm looking at DACs that are only available online (ULN-2, Wyred for Sound, & Antelope Zodiac).

What do you think?

Tom

P.S. My system: MacBook Pro via Toslink -> Ultra Micro DAC -> Rotel RC 1070 Pre -> Rotel RB 1070 Power -> Magnapan 1.6QR & 2 Rythmic Audio Subs, GIK corner bass traps and absorption panels.

Tom[br](MacBook Pro via Firewire -> Metric Halo ULN-2 DAC -> W4S STI-500 Amp -> Magnapan 1.6QR & 2 Rythmic Audio Subs, GIK room treatments)

Hi Tom,

I think you already have a nice system. If your Rotel RB-1070 amp has enough power to drive your Maggies, then you may want to keep the system as is and start auditioning different DACs.

It sounds like your budget is about $1,500 to $2,000. I think you will able to find a very good DAC in that price range. The Wyred for Sound unit looks very interesting, but I’ve only read the spec sheet.

Dealers can be a terrific resource. Use all of your resources wisely. In the end, trust your ears.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck and happy listening.

Best regards,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Chris,

The Rotel seems to be handling the maggies ok. It's rated at 130 watts into 8 ohms, but they don't rate it into 4 ohms - I'm guessing maybe 200 watts. Most listening is with the volume control at 10 to 12 o'clock. So my initial plan was inline with your suggestions - to first try some new DACs. But I keep reading that you need lots of power for the maggies.

Do you think an amp could hide the true sound of a DAC as the dealer implied?

I'm going to have to be patient and wait to read what people think of the W4S and Zodiac.

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom[br](MacBook Pro via Firewire -> Metric Halo ULN-2 DAC -> W4S STI-500 Amp -> Magnapan 1.6QR & 2 Rythmic Audio Subs, GIK room treatments)

Hi Tom,

I believe there is a CA member who drives larger Maggies with Outlaw monoblocks. They are rated at 200 watts @ 8 ohms. I haven’t heard them, so I can’t comment on the sound. However, at about $350 each, they sure seem like a lot of power for a very reasonable price. Here is a link: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Back to your question. Namely, do I think that “an amp could hide the true sound of a DAC as the dealer implied?”

Well, I suppose my quick response is both yes and no. Everything is a factor and can affect the sound we hear. Having said this, I think that improving your DAC could have a profound impact to your system. Part of me feels that upgrading to a good asynchronous DAC will help reduce jitter. This could produce a meaningful difference in the sound that you hear, even if you keep your Rotel RB-1070 amp.

But, this is all theoretical and academic. In the end, only you can decide if you hear, and like, the addition of a new DAC.

On a side note, I have trying various pieces of new equipment recently. I find that making one change at a time helps me better evaluate the impact. Making a number of changes all at the same time may make it much harder, or impossible, for you to determine what is actually making the largest contribution to the changes in sound.

If I were you, I would start with auditioning DACs. After that, and budget permitting, I would look into a little more power.

Best regards,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Chris,

Off to work soon so this needs to be short.

Thanks for your comments. I already ran across the Outlaw amps while reading the forums here. It seems that the most interesting gear for me tends to be only available online.

Also, one step at a time is a wise plan.