IGNORED

M2Tech HiFace / Mac Mini problems

Hello,

The HiFace I purchased from Tweek Geek arrived today, and I’m having severe intermittent music drop-out problems. I could not find any Mac specific installation/setup instructions provided with the HiFace, so I can only assume I have followed the proper installation procedure.

I downloaded the latest 10.6 Mac driver from the M2Tech website and selected the HiFace in the Mac Mini’s Audio MIDI Setup options. When the music is playing via the HiFace there is a very noticeable improvement in clarity and bass definition, but the sound cut-out problem is unbearable. It’s also interesting that iTunes library is much, much slower to respond when I attempt to access different songs using my iPod Touch while using the HiFace.

My setup is Mac Mini 2.53GHz/4GB > Amarra Mini > HiFace > Cambridge Audio 840C > Arcam AVR350 > Vandersteen 2Ce speakers.

The music cut-out problems and delayed remote response only occurs when the HiFace is in the chain. When I replace it with Toslink cable > CA 840C, the problem goes away.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks SO MUCH!

MichiGoon[br]PS Audio Power Plant Premier >> Oyen MiniPro 1TB External 2.5-in FireWire 800HD >> Mac Mini 2.53GHz/4GB with Amarra Mini 2.2 >> Ridge Street Audio Poiema USB cable >> Ayre Qb-9 (or) Tranquility SE DAC >> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II ic> Arcam AVR350 >> Acoustic Zen Shotgun Double Barrel >> Vandersteen 2Ce speakers (combination of LessLoss and VH Audio power cables w/dedicated circuits)[br]

I am also in Michigan, and I received a Hiface today, and am using it into a Mac Mini! I am not having any problems at all, and it sounds great! I downloaded the M2 program for Snow Leopard, can't remember which number that was... I am using Pure Music, and the hiface seems to show the superiority if it over I-tunes better than my previous set-up.

What part of Michigan are you in?

guitardave,

Good to hear from you! We've spoken before on the phone... small (audiophile) world! I'm north of Howell and have family in Hastings, remember me?

Glad to hear your HiFace is working seamlessly. Sure wish mine was. I'm waiting to hear from M2Tech regarding the issue, but I was pretty disappointed that my HiFace did not come with any support documentation; no literature, just a mini-CD with Mac drivers. No Mac set-up or installation instructions whatsoever!

Regardless, I hope we can resolve these issues because I'm very impressed by the improvement the HiFace offers vs. toslink from my Mac Mini. I've tried two different USB ports and the problem persists.

What audio output settings are you using in the Mac MIDI setup?

MichiGoon[br]PS Audio Power Plant Premier >> Oyen MiniPro 1TB External 2.5-in FireWire 800HD >> Mac Mini 2.53GHz/4GB with Amarra Mini 2.2 >> Ridge Street Audio Poiema USB cable >> Ayre Qb-9 (or) Tranquility SE DAC >> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II ic> Arcam AVR350 >> Acoustic Zen Shotgun Double Barrel >> Vandersteen 2Ce speakers (combination of LessLoss and VH Audio power cables w/dedicated circuits)[br]

Good news, the HiFace is working flawlessly. The audio cut-out problems were caused by a VNC client. I’m running my Mac Mini headless and use LogMeIn VNC from a PC in my office for the Mac Mini setup and configuration.

Anyway, I tried the HiFace without the VNC client connection and all problems vanished. Chalk this one up to user error.

Hey, who knew?

I am glad your is working now because mine has been flawless with the mac mini and PS Audio DLIII. I am using the VNC app free from the apple store and control the computer with my itouch. no trouble with that setup.

"Information is not knowledge,

Knowledge is not wisdom,

Wisdom is not truth,

Truth is not beauty,

Beauty is not love,

Love is not music and

Music is the best" -Frank Zappa