IGNORED

AIFF with a sample rate of 48000kHz ??

Hi All

I am reading up on ripping my collection. I have almost decided on AIFF, however I recently found a great article that recommended ripping with a sample rate of 48000kHz.

I thought the max sample rate for CD's is 44000kHz?? What would be the value (if any) of ripping at 480000kHz???

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Ripping at 48kHz (48000) is BAD. It means before you begin you've already mangled the bits inside the file.

The only justification could be if you have a playback device (sound card) which only supports 48k - though even then I would avoid it!

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have tried lots of silly ways of ripping.

Do it at 44.1 kHz it works best and is the original!

If you then feel a compelling urge to try different sample rates convert those files but at least you have the original at the orginal sample rate.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers