IGNORED

Internal vs external digital converters? (Lynx/RME vs Legato/m2tech)

Have been trying to piece together what everyone is saying in this space as it's controversial and not everyone has tried both.

There are two ways of getting your DAC to work better with your PC.

1. Internal soundcard such as Lynx AES16 or RME Hammerfall

2. External usb or firewire converters such as Legato, Sonicweld, M2tech or Weiss INT202/DAC2.

Has anyone done a comparison between both and found much difference?

So far I have come across mentions that users of Legato and M2tech have found it better than their Lynx.. but yet many including Chris seem happy using the Lynx. :)

Just picking the right way to go into a potential purchase of a Chord QBD76 which needs either optical or dual AES input for 24/192.

Anyone?

As a side note I'd like to add that the RME HDSP 9632 does not output 24/192 over dual wire AES, only single wire, which is a pity given that it costs quite a bit less than the RME HDSP AES-32 or Lynx AES16, even with the Word clock expansion...

So the choice for internal cards so far is between Lynx AES16 and RME HDSP AES-32.

Regards

Best regards,[br]Lorenzo

Was unable to test the ART Legato but I did try m2tech and sonicweld diverter versus lynx card to the berkeley dac.. did feel the lynx was a better match. Of course, there were other variables at play, but my impression is that it's possible for an internal soundcard to sound as good.