IGNORED

Audio Gd DAC: FUN

Hi!

Has anyone heard the Audio-Gd FUN from China? Would it be worth it for me to go for it together with the M2Tech Hiface (SPDIF)? Also, would the headphone amp section be friendly to simple-as-nails headphones like the Senn. HD555?

Thanks in advance!

(Edited the title to get some response)

My rig is not an oil rig. I sometimes wish it was.

I own a FUN and run it w a M2tech. I think it's a very under-rated performer. See good reviews on headfi.org e.g.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-audio-gd-fun-modular-dac-headphone-amp-preamp-468522/

I ran a set of HD650's with it - works excellent. Great value for the money.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

Thanks Xsajohn!

In fact, the reason why I'd posted here was to try to get a second opinion. Haha! I've read your review by the way, good work! Just some quick questions for ya (and other members where relevant):

Have you tried to hook up the DAC to any active monitors that usually take in balanced inputs only? Are there any tips and tricks that you can dispense with modifying an unbalanced out (RCA out, like the one on the FUN) to, say, shielded TRS-in? This is because I'm currently considering the Yamaha HS80M.

Also, did you have to do any settings to the output of the Hiface to enabale it to match the stock DAC in 24/96 mode? Or did you just leave it as it is and hope that the coax interface would somehow sort itself out? Or should I just order both the 8416 and the 9001 and hear the difference myself? It appears to me that you're not quite in favour of the 8416 receiver. I believe the bottleneck for my setup would most probably be on the DAC/Hiface interconnects, as I simply cannot afford to spend a lot at this stage.

Cheers!

I have used it with some AudioEngine A2 (active monitors) - works fine. You have two options for the DAC from the FUN - a DAC out, or (recommended) the line out using ACSS (sounds better with the diamond buffer etc). Kingwa also indicates something to that effect on his site (albeit in broken English).

Re the HiFace - you don't need to set anything. I used Foobar2k - use the SoX upsampler to 92k or 192k and you're good to go.

Note that the FUN is very customizable - you can opt for the 96k sampling or the 192k by changing jumpers on the mainboard. Also note that the Opamps makes a huge difference - I got the Earth OPA - neutral.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

You'll find that the Audio-gd products sell very well on Headfi. So - you can always invest in the setup, and re-sell very quickly at a small loss if not to your liking. Attribute the loss to school fees/learning experience. In this case the experience might cost you around $50 if you play it right (say keep in pristine condition for a month or 3 & sell local).

Just a thought.

That doesn't sound very reassuring to me. Especially when resources are very tight at my level. For this setup, I want to make sure that things are definitely right the first time. After all, every $50 I lose would have meant I could have gotten myself an upgrade in terms of interconnects already. Too "expensive" a lesson, if you know what I'm saying.

Anyway, same thing, I'm leaving this open for now to get more opinions. Funny how I've looked on the Audio-Gd website and saw quite an impressive number of users but none have since so far given any reviews on it (except one).

• 1 year later...

I have the original nuforce icon uDAC and use it in my office paired with a zvox 325 I had lying around from a different project. I had been thinking about replacing the udac for a while as I found it a little too cold and analytical for my tastes. Pacific Valve has the audio-gd fun dac on special this month (around $225) and so I bought it. The difference in SQ was immediate and fairly dramatic. The soundstage opened up and the sound became warmer and more lifelike. The thing is (relatively) huge, though (I should have checked the specs before buying I guess); that said, this is a very nice sounding unit esp. for the price.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)