IGNORED

Sparky Dietpi Roon-Ready I2S Streamer

On 3/28/2018 at 2:12 AM, tapatrick said:

Chain is Sparky (with music from an attached USB drive or over the network) > Ian Canadas McFifo > McDualXO boards > Audio gd HDMI module > using the I2s input on my PS Audio Junior DAC. I'm currently running Volumio. :)

5abaccc159a08_Sparkyworking1.thumb.jpg.834c5fb9edc3bc95aafd1f7b5749f179.jpg

Have you tried low noise linear power supply? I assume that battery packs have quite cheap and noisy power inverter inside.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, tapatrick said:

Yes see my post from June 11 detailing the components. I use Paul Hynes SR4s and modded Teradak DC30 with lots of LT3045 voltage regs. All sounding superb. 

I some how missed that, sorry. So you use two 'main' power supplies and for every device (except Sparky) additional LT3045 regulator board? I just ordered reclocker and i2s hdmi lvds and it got me thinking how will I power these boards.

Thanks for the great info @tapatrick Ian tweeted few days after my order was shipped out. I ordered Allo Kali Reclocker and I2S HDMI LVDS from audiophonics. I hope this wasn't a mistake. Fellow member @scumbag seems to be happy with it.

I already have 3 Zero Zone R-core LPSU (5V/12V/24V) and each can be adjusted few volts. This Tubelover2 POE trick is really interesting, many pages to read now. 

17 hours ago, scumbag said:

As an update, I returned my I2S Streamer to Audiophonics the other week as I was having some issues. It took me repeated attempts to get back to me but the upshot is they've now told me that the streamer is NOT 100% compatible with the Direct Stream (& Junior) DAC. They didn't specify what part of the device was causing the issue so I've sent an email back to the get clarification. I am guessing (hoping) that it is the LVDS board and not the Kali board to blame. Audiophonics used a generic LVDS board and I am guessing that they'll swap it out for another LVDS board that they stock. I don't think that the Audio_gd LVDS board that they stock will work in this application so I think they'll have to source another one. I'll post back when (IF!) I get an answer. It's been a long slog to get any information out of them to be honest......

What a great news. :( Which software did you use with it? 

@scumbag That was quick, could you take a pic after you receive it so we could identify this new I2S -> HDMI LVDS board.

I ordered Kali reclocker:https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/allo-kali-reclocker-i2s-fifo-sparky-sbc-and-raspberry-4448mhz-32bit-384khz-p-11433.html

And this HDMI lvds board: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/module-interface-entree-i2s-vers-sortie-hdmi-p-12506.html

Other parts needed here I already have from previous projects.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-raspdac/raspdigi-lte-lvds-v2-streamer-i2s-lvds-hdmi-allo-kali-reclocker-audio-gd-gustard-compatible-p-13064.html

---

@tapatrick @rb2013 Is there a specific (SQ) reason to use these cheap 2 or 8 port POE boards for dual CAT DC? Have anyone tried to connect cat7 cables directly to DC jack adapter like this: 

10287-01.jpg

I changed my mind at the last minute before I bought this "no name" board like in the audiophonics streamer. I don't know why... It was cheaper I guess :D

Mano player uses this I2S -> HDMI board: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/audio-gd-diy-kit-i2s-to-hdmi-output-module-p-9347.html

I'll test this "no name" board with Volumio and Moode and then if not working I will talk to audiophonics, maybe they are willing to replace it.

@scumbag Exactly, I'm in the same boat with you. It is advertised as compatible with PS Audio and that's why I ordered this no name board and save a few bucks also. But I will test it out before I contact audiophonics, maybe your board was just faulty,  this is a very simple device.

You can leave a feedback for the device on audiophonics site.

I connected my new toys (Raspberry -> Kali -> I2S -> "no name HDMI LVDS" -> HDMI -> SGCD). Everything works great and the sound is amazing with the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Dac! Compared to Allo DigiOne board not a night and day difference but much better! And this is all with no extra mods. Mods come later.

I use Moode 4.2 software with Raspberry Pi3. From the audio config menu you must select "Generic-2 I2S rpi-dac" then reboot and then apply mpd config. Have not found any problems with different files. High res flac and dsf files play just fine. DoP must be disabled!

Kali_i2s_out_hdmi_lvds.thumb.JPG.583f1dd942bd3a33dc12c721759c6791.JPGmoode_4.2_conf.thumb.jpg.7ac905205a64a06393730074640cfe91.jpg

Kali_gpio.jpg

I noticed a click/pop today when changed a playlist and pressed play button. This is happening only when player is in stopped/paused state and starts playing. Seems like a software (mpd?) issue but it was not present with Allo DigiOne HAT so it could be hardware issue too I guess. It's not a big problem but annoying. 

Also heard some weird noises on the background when the player is stopped and turning up volume to max.  rPi HF noises I think.

This "XIN-YI" HDMI LVDS has a LT1086 (150uV max but measures lower) regulator on the board, does it change SQ? Maybe upgrade to LT3045?

I don't have Roon. I like Moode and it's UI/UX. Volumio is okay too.

--

I have tried different players all day now and the results are exactly the same - so it's a hardware problem.

I started with Moode, then Volumio, then DietPi (HQ player NAA, Kodi, YMPD, Shairport Sync, O!MPD, Raspotify). I skipped piCorePlayer because I don't have any LMS devices to test with. Every player gives exactly the same pop in the beginning after play is pressed.

It's pointless to send this no name board back to France also, shipping costs the same or a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a replacement HDMI LVDS board (Audio-GD) from Audiophonics and I can't get any sound out of it - total silence. I connected it the same way as this no name board except 3.3V for power. Kali seems to react the same as before.

BCK -> pin 12
MCLK (master clock) -> pin 29
WCK (LRCLK) -> pin 35
Data -> pin 40
Ground -> pin 39
Power -> pin 1 (3.3V)

Some "higher power" does not want me to use I2S. :D

Great success! ?

I didn't know that Allo Kali does not output 3.3V on pin1. I used LT1117 and connected it to pin2 5V output and now everything works great. No clicks pops or other glitches anymore. DSD Native works great also. Already tried Moode and Volumio both working fine. Also Sparky/Volumio with Kali reclocker and Audio-GD I2S HDMI LVDS output board works.

Kali_i2s_out_audio-gd_hdmi_lvds.thumb.JPG.bf1cd5d9e1052f7ede81fc0341edc2d1.JPG

---

@scumbag

PS Audio and Audio-GD use the same HDMI LVDS pinout except PS Audio does not use MCLK so I grounded it. This is for PS Audio DS, DS jr and Stellar Gain Cell DAC. Credits to Jesus Rodriguez from sonore.us.

psa-vs-agd_hdmi-lvds.thumb.PNG.af9e49b6fa75cdf05e81d9bb36ba7781.PNG

And here I made better Allo Kali reclocker pinout where I connected Audio-GD HDMI LVDS output module wires except MCLK:

Kali_gpio.thumb.jpg.457ebb61b52518646ca2383a92e8cd67.jpg

So maybe now I made someone else's life in this situation a little bit easier. I also want to thank Audiophonics Luc and Audio-GD Kingwa for support and of course @scumbag and @tapatrick :)