IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 3:36 PM, bit01 said:

Just to say that I am enjoying the LPS 1.2 (set at 7 VDC & with its supplied smps) feeding the Sonore ultraRendu. I get the same feeling of upgrade from the LPS 1 that the Sonore uR gave over the mR. 'Grace and timing' improvements that make the music that more captivating.

I should mention the perceived improvements in bass detail/definition as well. Please note that the LPS 1 is no slouch either especially when powered by the likes of the excellent Paul Hynes SR4!

• 1 month later...

Rated at 2A continuous but 20A transient, the Paul Hynes SR4 (@9V powering the LPS-1.2 @7V (likely against Paul's wishes) does combine the two PS's strengths. I get a listening experience with good (LPS 1-2) resolution and reduced 'digital stress' (SR4) when compared to just the smps/LPS-1.2 pairing. The SR4 is only warm to the touch. At 12V it hardly gets warm but I get a slightly 'harder' sound out of the combo!

SR4 @9V (cu DC lead)->LPS-1.2 @7V-->uRendu-->USPCB>NAIM DAC-V1

• 2 weeks later...

@ Alex and/or John S.

Hi,

I have the LPS-1.2 (set at 7V) being charged by the Paul Hynes SR4 (set at 9V) setup as follows:

SR4@9V->LPS-1.2@7V->uR->USPCB(90deg)->Naim DAC-V1.

As mentioned in a previous post I find the combo to work rather well, each contributing its strengths.

However Paul has previously expressed some concern using the SR4 to charge ultracaps, specifically the condition where it could see a discharged bank in any operational state. Since he is not familiar with the LPS-1.2 design I thought I would ask here for a direct answer to the bold text below -

Here is the quote from his post :

".. I would not recommend using the SR4 to charge Ultracap banks directly because, in the discharged state, the Ultracap bank would look like a short circuit to the SR4, or any other power supply.

I have no experience with the LPS-1.2 but I assume that there is a charge current limit applied within the Ultracap charger circuitry to limit stress to the charger and also to the energising supply used to provide the raw power for the LPS-1.2 charger to work with. Perhaps Alex or John can elaborate on the charge current limit if applicable.

You obviously have the SR4/LPS-1.2 working well together combining the best attributes of both power supplies to give a result that suits your requirements when listening to music.

The balanced mains isolation transformer I fit to the SR4 is capable of allowing DC current delivery of 2.5A continuous, which from your experience, appears adequate for powering the LPS-1.2 ..."

Any compatibility issues comments are much appreciated.

Best regards,

b.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well, I'll let @JohnSwenson reply to the technical questions @paulhynes posed (though I promise the charging supply is NEVER presented with a dead short from a discharged bank; whatever PS is used to charge only sees the input of the LTM4607 regulator module.) 

However, I will say that while we are glad you are enjoying the sound with the combo, I think it is an absolute waste of Paul's fine supply to be using it to charge the capacitors of our UltraCap LPS-1.2.  

So I respectfully suggest that perhaps you can find a better use for your Paul Hynes SR-4.  :D

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

I appreciate the time you took to write your informative facts above. It is very helpful to confirm that the LPS-1.2 by design should pose no issue for the SR4 feed.

I normally use the SR4 in another setup. I hooked it up to the LPS-1.2 out of my crazy curiosity. I also own the LPS-1. In my listening experience (in my setup) its performance varies according to the feeder unit, even with the DC-out ground shunt! I found the LPS-1.2 to be similar in this way when I replaced the smps with the SR4. I was kind of hoping not to find a change to be honest, but it is there and not a subtle one much in favor of the SR4. Do I have a defective unit? Perhaps but somehow I doubt this. It is likely that there is some other explanation.

Best wishes.

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

You and other has reported better SQ exchange the Meanwell with a LPS. 

My theory is that those SMPS you removed has some effects on other gear or wires in your system. ( not what the LPS-1.2 is powering). 

Would be interesting to know if there exist methods to isolate noise from SMPS. I use IsoTek and Isol power conditioners. And I have measured noise gone. But the tool used is developed from same company, so not sure how much I can trust that measurement. 

Maybe adding long DC wires (with JSSG) from the SMPS in order to keep noise away can help ?

Actually I wonder I’d doing some JSSG on both DC and AC line of the Meanwell may have an effect. And as a minimum use Canare star quad out from the Meanwell. 

As several people has reported better SQ using proper DC cables between LPS-1 and the device it’s powering. 

Hi R1200CL,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The smsp is their new 36W Uptone Audio branded one that comes with the LPS 1.2. When I switch it out for the SR4 I do not unplug it from the power strip. I have not noticed any difference whether it is plugged in or not so its audible effect on the other components is NIL at least as far as my hearing is able to discern. I am using what I believe to be excellent custom DC cables made from aerospace Mil-spec 2x22awg silver plated OFC in near starquad (SR4,12in ->LPS-1.2, 10in ->to uR) ! Unfortunately I cannot use the same on the smps without modifying it due to its molded in cable.

ATB

b.

47 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

When you say switch to the SR4 do you mean the SR4 is feeding the LPS-1.2 and the UA SMPS is unplugged from the LPS-1.2 and still plugged into the AC main? Then you try with the UA SMPS unplugged from the main and don't hear any difference? This is not a particularly good test since the SMPS is not connected to a load, if anything is being injected into the AC mains it is most likely going to be correlated with how much power is going through the supply, with no load there is probably very little going in the mains. To be a valid test you should have some heavy load on the SMPS.

John S.

Thanks for chiming in!

Yes to your query except the UA smps was connected to the LPS-1 which had no load. I can connect the microRendu with another DAC to it and see what effect that might have.

ATB.

22 hours ago, bit01 said:

Thanks for chiming in!

Yes to your query except the UA smps was connected to the LPS-1 which had no load. I can connect the microRendu with another DAC to it and see what effect that might have.

ATB.

I connected the UA smps/LPS-1 (A) into the same power strip as the SR4/LPS-1.2 (B) as follows:

A: UA smps->LPS-1->mR->AQ Dragonfly->Senn/Massdrop HD6XX

B: PH SR4->LPS-1.2->uR->Naim DAC-V1->stereo system

A&B are linked when both are plugged in and play simultaneously via J. River. The listening is through B.

When listening to a test playlist, I cannot say that I reliably hear a notable difference  between A plugged in or not. However when focusing on one section of a track with percussive instruments on repeat play there seems to be a slight difference - like a reduction in the 'sheen/shimmer'  of the brass with A plugged in. The frequency balance could perhaps be tilted ever so slightly with the highs (HF) seemingly less prominent than the LF, i.e. in favor of the lowest frequencies if that is possible? Something akin to the effect that  different interconnects between components might produce.

So yes-when A is plugged in, there is a slight effect on B but my feeling is that whatever it is  injecting back into the AC is not affecting the DAC that much. However when the UA smps replaces the SR4 in 'B' that 'edge/glare' is detectable enough to prefer the latter especially in lengthy listens.

ATB

b.

25 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for your report!  You guys always amaze us with the lengths you go and the subtleties you hear.  :D

I am truly happy you found a unique setup that wrings every bit out of your system.  I just don't want people to think that they have to spend money charging the (not connected side of) ultracaps with another fine LPS just to enjoy the great benefits of our UltraCap LPS-1.2. B|

Thank you Alex - and for the great products! I hope I am not giving the impression that the LPS-1.2/UA smps combo is less than fantastic because it is! I certainly did not purchase the SR4 for such a reason as to replace the smps! I just happened to have it in another setup. I mentioned what I hear here as I thought it might raise further thoughts into possible additional steps toward that elusive perfection, and also in response to John's query above.

Best regards.