IGNORED

Lumin A1 BNC Output

Hello

I just bought the BMC DAC1 to use with my BMC M2 Mono Amp. To use most BMC DAC1 functions I need to use digital output of the source. In this case A1 has  BNC and HDMI but my DAC1 only has BNC as one of its digital input (SPDIF, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, COAX, BNC, USB1.1). When I select the BNC input there is no sound but when I switch to RCA there is sound.

Please kindly advise what I need to do to make this work. I contacted the previous owner and he told me he never used BNC connection and since he bought it new I should work. 

I am new to the audio world so not even sure if I have the correct cable?  The cable is 5 foot BJC High-flex 3G/6G HD SDI patch cable (Belden 1505F), BNC to BNC

Thanks for your help in advanced

Please go into Lumin app settings for Lumin A1: Enable Digital Audio Output (if it's already enabled, disable it then enable it again), and Disable Re-sampling.

I don't see anything wrong with your cable, but as an alternative you can also try using a BNC-to-RCA adapter with a common 75ohm digital coaxial cable for SPDIF input, or a BNC-to-RCA 75ohm coaxial cable.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 years later...

The Lumin digital output complies with the custom re-sampling setting inside Lumin app, or DSD to PCM or DoP conversion, or MQA Core decoding.  There is no EQ or other types of DSP.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, wklie said:

The Lumin digital output complies with the custom re-sampling setting inside Lumin app, or DSD to PCM or DoP conversion, or MQA Core decoding.  There is no EQ or other types of DSP.

Thank you, so (just to be clear.... please forgive me, I just want to be certain that I understand!).... If I set the upsampling in the Lumin app to convert all to DSD (DoP), the output from the BNC output socket will actually be the upsampled signal, not (for example) the original native 44.1/16 signal? Then I can take that signal to my external Dac?

For 16/44.1 lossless streams and Spotify, you can have one of the following digital outputs:

• native 16/44.1
  • upsampled 24/176.4
  • upsampled DSD in DoP format

Note that only some DAC accepts DoP format (e.g. Esoteric) from coaxial input, many do not.

If your desire is to always have upconverted DSD, two other limitations exist.  Lumin A1 cannot upsample DSD beyond 96kHz of source music (but U1 (MINI) can).  The other thing is, 48kHz or 96kHz music becomes DSD+ 3.072MHz instead of DSD 2.822MHz.  Many DAC do not support DSD+ 3.072MHz either.

If you want to use Lumin digital output, I recommend you get a new U1 MINI or U1 instead of S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 / D2.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead