IGNORED

Neil Young Archives On New Streaming Service

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to loading Firefox on my Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop with Core i7 6700 and 32Gb of RAM. I had the Chord Mojo connected to the laptop and was listening to 24/192 files via Empire Ears Zeus Custom IEMs. Even with this powerful a setup I experienced occasional dropouts. The fun part was demoing/listening to NY albums that I hadn’t heard before and, just in general, browsing the catalog. BTW, I found his latest album too compressed for my taste but that’s a whole other discussion. Anyway, I would have preferred not having to install and use another web browser, and also not being chained to my laptop. I agree that having something like jriver integrated in would be a step up (and, as I recall, the PonoWorld Player was a pretty close facsimile of jriver so I don’t see why this couldn’t eventually be an option). Of course, an option for bypassing a PC or laptop would be even better.

At the end of the day, I am(like many here on the forum) a bit of a dinosaur as I already have my favorite NY recordings on CD rips and hi res downloads, so using a NY streaming service is kind of a fun but nonessential novelty for me. 

While im game to see what else Orastream has up their sleeves going forward, it would take a much larger music database than “NY and friends” to get me to reach for my credit card.

7 hours ago, mansr said:

It doesn't matter how much CPU power you throw at it. The problem is the way Firefox schedules its activities. By default, all tabs share a single process, so rendering a large page in another tab easily makes audio stutter. The number of processes can be increased by opening the about:config page and increasing the value of the dom.ipc.processCount setting. It seems to help with the stuttering here. Bear in mind that each process adds at least few hundred MB of memory usage, so don't go too crazy.

Thanks @mansr. I assumed as much, which is why I listed the specs for my laptop. Dropouts obviously do not constitute music heard the way the artist intended. 

Do the same problems exist for Mac users with Safari?