IGNORED

How Source Affects DAC

I've been happily living with Modwright Oppo players for about 6 years now, and I've recently decided to go in a completely different direction, wanting more resolution and honesty than the Modwright units supply.  Although I do listen to SACDs occasionally, 98% of my listening from my digital front end is from either an external HDD plugged in to the Oppo's USB port.  Soon I will have the ability to connect my router directly to my new digital source (whatever that may be), however.

I'm leaning toward an Auralic Vega at ~$1200 on the used market. Whatever DAC I go with, though, how will my front end selection impact the sound that ultimately comes out of the speakers?  Will an Auralic Aries sound much better than an Aries Mini?  Will it really sound significantly different than, say, a Bluesound Note 2, or a stock Oppo 105?

Many thanks in advance for your insights!

Best,

HC

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

Hi HC

personally I believe like everything audio, synergy is key.

I have had on loan the vega and found it to be a very nice DAC. A little soft round the edges with a warmth that does make music sound, well nice.

I eventually went down the Chord route, so would suggest you compare if you have the chance.

The Aries is better than the mini and so it should be. However I did not find the Chord/Aries a happy one. 

As always you really need to try before you buy, which is not always easy when buying used.

Good luck