IGNORED

Lost: iTunes Won't Play Apple Lossless

Not knowing how to choose at the time, I began ripping my CD collection using AIFF (and then WAV) using iTunes. Storage space wasn't a concern at the time.

Now, on the verge of ripping a 500+ CD collection onto a NAS, I thought I would try Apple Lossless. So, using iTunes 9.0.3, I converted a sample of AIFF and WAV songs (in 44, 88, 96, and 176) to Apple Lossless. But, iTunes won't play the converted songs. There are no error messages, just no music. And, on some of the hi-res music, high-pitched noise.

In ripping a CD using Apple Lossless, everything seems to go fine (i.e., the music seems to load to the library), but no sound upon play.

Please help.

And, if you have advice about choice of a CODEC, please provide suggestions.

Pure Music&Amarra/iTunes ->Mac Pro ->Firewire->Weiss 202 ->VTL 7.5III Line Stage -> VTL Siegfrieds -> Alexandrias, Series 2

Guest WATERLOGIC

Must be a wrong settings under preferances in itunes (recheck).

Otherwise, if you have many files to convert try the little japanese app called XLD (it is faster).

(in XLD - preferences make sure output format is set to Aplle Lossless and under option choose Same as original).

WL

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not aware of a preference item re the CODEC for playback (just for ripping0. Please provide details.

Pure Music&Amarra/iTunes ->Mac Pro ->Firewire->Weiss 202 ->VTL 7.5III Line Stage -> VTL Siegfrieds -> Alexandrias, Series 2

I repeated the trials I reported above both with and without Amarra running iTunes. Without Amarra all is well. With Amarra, I am losing Apple Lossless. Next stop: A call to Amarra.