IGNORED

Is a CAPS style PC still the way to go?

blownsi

On 9/30/2017 at 5:54 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

My main quibble with any proprietary player/server is that one is locked into what the manufacturer supports.   This entire field of endeavor is still in its formative years and I prefer to have a platform that does not constrain me from taking advantage of new ideas, new software and new products as they come along.   

CAPS got me started and, conceptually, it continues to be my choice.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. These are useful comments for me because I too do not want to be stuck down a technological or financial dead branch. Given how great the current existing USB and Ethernet signal paths can sound, I'll wait for better consolidation of the digital stream though it may be some time before component, power supply, cables, and isolation can be reasonably optimized (and less compromised). I'd guess it'll still be two more generations of DACs (for example) or powered all-in-one system speakers to pass before we get affordable options of what you have to piece together today (KEF LS50 Wireless, etc. notwithstanding). 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.