IGNORED

Any old sound card?

Al

Hi all.

Some of you will remember my recent thread about getting a Mac, but im also considering the PC route.

In short, I wonder what the consensus is as to whether it is worth spending much on a soundcard with the AVI ADM9.1s, or if any old card with an optical connection will do, as the speakers will be handling the conversion to analogue?

As a slight aside, what do people think of getting a motherboard with an optical connection?

Soundcards im considering are:

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio - aprox £45 GBP

Asus Xonar D1 7.1 Soundcard - aprox £55 GBP

Asus Xonar DX - aprox £60 GBP

Asus Xonar Essence STX - aprox £145 GBP

I'm not sure the prices are really relevant but there you go. I think its worth mentioning I cant really stomach the idea of something like a Lynx right now.

Panasonic PXP 42 V20; Panasonic DMP BD35; Sky+ HD Box. [br]Optical out from Asus P7H55-M into AVI ADM 9.1 speakers. [br]\"Music will provide the light you cannot resist\"[br]

read on here about the Juli@ card which seems to promise bit perfect output to the DAC. However, it has a coax out and not an optical out. While i have a coax lead and a coax-optical adaptor, i was hoping to eliminate them from the chain this time around.

Also, ive seen no mention of this card with Win7.

Panasonic PXP 42 V20; Panasonic DMP BD35; Sky+ HD Box. [br]Optical out from Asus P7H55-M into AVI ADM 9.1 speakers. [br]\"Music will provide the light you cannot resist\"[br]

I mean, you wouldnt want me making a dreadful mistake would you? ;)

A quick look at ESI's website shows...

The ESI Juli@ has a optical connection as well as the electrical (co-ax) Digital connection.
    The ESI Juli@'s optical connection is limited to 24/96 (co-ax supports 24/192)
    ESI have support for Windows 7

My personal thoughts would be to look at either a motherboard with Optical output, or use the ESI Juli@. But that's a gut reaction rather than anything scientific. You could also consider the ESI Maya44 which is limited to 24/96 on both digital connections.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

assuming i play nothing higher quality than CD rips, and i set the Juli@ to the relevant sample rate, would the DAC in my speakers re-sample the audio again, and render the Juli@ pointless?

Also - would i need to change the rate manually if playing something hi res for example? This probably wont matter, but its worth checking.

Mac Mini >Amarra Mini>Apogee MiniDAC>Ars Sonum Filarmonia SXE>Quad ESL 2805[br]www.susoramallo.com[br]

That link isnt quite working for me. is that the US eBay?

mixer has had its way with my music? How does it know what sample rate to use?