IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

My understanding is that in the EU music copyrighted before November 1963 is in the public domain (unless recopyrighted). So one is free to rip a record from say 1959 which has not be recopyrighted and give or sell the rip.  Quite a few companies sell recordings which have been ripped from originals from that era.  The EU instituted that rule a few years back when the previous rule was 50 years for copyrights going into the public domain. Now in the EU, anything after November, 1963  has a 70 year copyright. I believe that was to essentially protect the copyright owner for their lifetime (projected as 70 years beyond the time of the copyright), but not forever.  The US rules are more complex, with different interpretations and different years.  I have read some arguments that say 1972 is the year, while other arguments (and lawsuits) claim different rules for different states.  So there are CD's which you can buy in Canada and Europe of historic performances in the public domain there which are not sold in the US because of copyright issues.

A not exact parallel is the copyright on books and publication, where books pass out of copyright and can be republished in the public domain.  For example there are many editions of great classic books from the time of Shakespeare and earlier, to more recent times which are low cost, out of copyright editions.  However, if they get modified, say a Shakespeare edition comes our with extensive notes and explanatory essays, then that edition can have its own copyright. 

I believe when Stravinsky was a young man, the copyright laws were looser, with different rules in different countries, and the time period was much shorter. So Stravinsky would take a piece that was going out of copyright and reorchestrate it, creating a piece which could have a new copyright.  Of course, if an orchestra wanted to perform the older version of the piece, they could, without owing anything for the performance. 

If one were to play a CD in public, say at a performance (or on the radio) then they were legally owe the copyright owner for that performance.  Of course, when you buy a CD to play at home, you have paid for the right to play it for your personal use, including having friends listen to the CD. Same with a DVD.  However, a movie theater cannot just play a DVD copy of a movie (even though they bought it) and charge people to see the movie, without paying the copyright owner.

BTW, I understand November, 1963 was not an arbitrary date, something to do with one of more popular groups and their second album. 

Larry 

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files