IGNORED

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: MQA HW decoding at reasonable cost

Really interested thread about this DAC, I'm looking further for someone testing it with a linear PSU as well.

I like the idea of dual ES9038 DAC; with a bit of tinkering and re-wiring this could be a decent balanced DAC as well (well, at least by looking at chip specs and ESS recommended design).

I would suggest more than 5V batteries, then a DC-DC step down low noise & low dropout regulator. You really need a very stable power supply for the DAC. Also, try not using the power banks with lithium batteries inside...they tend to have lot of ripple & noise from their SMPS DC-DC buck converters!

59 minutes ago, Mark Dirac said:

Thanks trl. If what you want is stability, then you cannot get a more stable supply than batteries plus a low-inductance capacitor. Now - that may not be good enough (low impedance at all frequencies? In-rush current control? Something else?) - but it will be stable.

Batteries are not stabilized over time, so now you might get 1.24V/element and after few hours you could be getting 1.19V/element. So, I still think a 7.2V battery followed by a low-drop & low-noise regulator could be better.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, left channel said:

A new and very comprehensive review, via @MagnusH in his pinkfishmedia incarnation:

https://headfonics.com/2018/03/pro-ject-audio-pre-box-s2-digital-review/

Not sure I fully understand the "stepped attenuator" syntagm; AFAIK volume control it's done inside the ES9018 chip, so the volume is not controlled analogically via a real resistive stepped attenuator. 

P.S.: I usually associate the "stepped attenuator" with an expensive resistive attenuator device, so please take my above statement with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, buonassi said:

[...]

• capacitors - questionable quality[...]

These are 2.000h rated caps able to handle AC ripple extremely well, that means after 2.000h @105C AC ripple handling will get cut in half. I would really not care about these caps, honestly.

Have you seen the Cap-Top or CapXon caps from inside JBL, Mackie a.s.o. audio equipment? :)