IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

A few questions on the SOtM 200 Ultra Neo set.

1. Does the Room Core need to be on a dedicated server? i.e.. not a work Mac.

I have a setup where I can use an optimised Mac mini with Uptone 12V mod just as Roon Core,

or an iMac that I use to do work on. If there is a degrade in sound I would of course use the Mac mini.

2. Do you get as good or better sound quality running your library off an external SSD or NAS v using a large SD card sat in the 200 (with the system on and music files as well)?

3. What SQ jump do you get with the USB Tx v the external clock unit? 

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

6 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Dear Astrostar; my advise is;

1.yes, because of the working processors dedicated is better.

2. I think your first option is the best.

3. It depands if you have a sotm switch or a clock connection on your sotm200ultra.. 

Thanks for that good advice. My system idea would be:

Netgear router with fibre optical 600mps > Ethernet 1000 base T > Mac mini with 12v DC mod running Room Core > SOtM 200 Ultra Neo with attached ext SSD > USB > DAC input.

I would use the SOtM 500 power supply, and possibly the external clock. The whole system is run off the PS Audio P10 power regenerator.

My question is then, would the external clock improve sound quality much? Or is the USB Tx more effective. The clock is expensive, thus my question.

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

• 5 months later...

I would burn the SMS 200 in for a couple of weeks first. It may change signature (warm up).

I think what you are hearing now is a new unit, and also increased detail from the better renderer. I would be surpassed if the bass is less and less body, as I suggest I expect it is more transparency you are now getting (more detail).