IGNORED

Is Firewire Connection bypassing Core Audio?

wavac

Hello my friends and Happy New Year!

As you can see from my system (in my signature) I use a firewire connection to the Weiss Vesta Firewire Interface and then an AES/EBU cable to Weiss Medea!

So far I have always though that I am bypassing the Core Audio of my Mac Pro and everything is performed from Weiss Vesta and Medea. For example I set Weiss Vesta (from its GUI) to upsample everything to 24/96!

A friend of mine told me that I still do not bypass Core Audio and that Core Audio is the actual software performing the upscale!

Is that true? Do I have to perform a different action to bypass Apple's Core Audio?

As you can probably understand I am a bit confused!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MacBook Pro > M2Tech Evo > Stylos SYS HAD > Sovereign Director > Sovereign Power > Tidal Piano Cera (Cabling: Argento)

Your friend is correct ...

The Vesta control pannel (sample rate section) will in turn alter the Audio Midi control panel.

There is no way to "bypass" Core Audio, but depending on the application you use to play back your files, various parts of Core Audio can be utilised or not. Core Audio is an umbrella term to descirbe the whole Mac OS audio sub-systems including sample rate conversion, the software / hardware interface and much more.

I don't know technical details, so will stop at that point.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eloise thanks for your quick answer my friend!

So I suppose the best thing I can do is set the sampling rate at a native 16/44 and let the DAC do its job!

MacBook Pro > M2Tech Evo > Stylos SYS HAD > Sovereign Director > Sovereign Power > Tidal Piano Cera (Cabling: Argento)

I just thought that since I am using firewire interface, I just send data to the Vesta and Core Audio has nothing to do with the whole process.

Oh well...