IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

My USBridge (purchased in Nov 2018) has begun acting up.  I'm using it as a Roon endpoint, and the issue that has developed is that it plays well for 5-10 minutes, then stops playing.  When this happens, I can still access the unit via the Web GUI and SSH, but Roon won't restart.  Only a reboot or powercycle will restore Roon.  

Initially, I thought a recent upgrade to DietPi 6.25.3 might have borked the unit or filesystem, so I removed the eMMC and flashed a fresh mSD card with a fresh copy of Allo's DietPi (with GUI) that I downloaded from the website.  It happens to be version 6.18.14.  Unfortunately, the unit behaves the same, so I'm beginning to fear I have a hardware problem.  I've replicated this using 2 different DACs (Meridian Director and Emotiva DC-1).  Soundcard is set to USB-DAC mode.  

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can follow to determine what is going on?  How should I proceed?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, gstew said:

Personally, I'm pretty excited about Allo's USBBridge Signature. It is like an RPi-based Sonore Ultra-Rendu, but able to run any RPi-abled Distro/SW sets. Will be interesting to see how it fares in the marketplace. BUT for people using the RPi to get an I2S signal to feed to DIY DACs like myself (or others using an I2S->HDMI module to feed to a DAC like a PS Audio Directstream) it should be about as good as we can get.

Greg in Mississippi

Agreed, Greg, it is pretty exciting.  As I understand it, it will also be possible to add a Digione Signature to it, to create a USB/SPDIF output streamer.  Looks to be sub-$250, based on comments posted in that thread.  

I'm still surprised that they've already pulled the original USBridge, though, even before the USBridge Signature is released.  Seems out of line with what they've done with the Digione/ Digione Signature, for example.  Hopefully, this means that the release of the Signature is imminent.