IGNORED

New to all this - trying to find a simple solution

I am new to this, so please bear with me.

I currently use an Apple TV which is connected to my receiver by HDMI. I works great, but it has limitations as far as I understand it. I have read that audio is limited to 48khz, 16 bit. Video is limited to 720p without upscaling.

Am I correct in believing that this is enough to play CD quality lossless files i.e. 44.1khz 16 bit or does the ATV have other limitations or quality issues that I am not aware of? Do you only need a better setup for higher than CD quality files?

For higher quality file, is it enough to stream the files directly to the receiver using DLNA server software or will this create problems like jitter? My thinking is that there are already quality DACs in the receiver. Why would I need other DACs than those which are already in the receiver?

Alternatively, can I just connect a mac directly to the receiver (not through an ethernet network connection) using an optical connection, avoiding the need for the Lynx card and the additional DAC (Berkeley audio or other)?

As no one has answered already...

Yes, the Apple TV is perfect for CD quality files.

Depending on the Reciever you have, you may be able to stream High Resolution (usually limited to 24/96 at maximum) via DNLA. There is less concern with jitter when you stream audio via a network. The reasoning for considering another DAC is that you may be able to improve on the sound quality - but with a reciever you run into the limits of the reciever as an analogue pre-amp.

Yes you can connect your Mac directly to your reciever if you have a spare optical SPDIF input. You just need a mini-TOSLink to TOSLink cable and this connects to the line-out socket on the Mac (assuming it's not an ancient Mac - think G5 MacBooks onwards and any MacMini including G4). This will allow you to access 24/96 material.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.