IGNORED

Oppo UDP-205 Universal Disc Player

Oppo has announced a few more details on their upcoming UDP-205 disc player....

Lossless High-resolution Audio

Audio format support has been expanded to multi-channel DSD64/128, as well as 192kHz/24-bit PCM used in high-resolution lossless formats such AIFF, ALAC, APE, FLAC and WAV. (DSD64 is played back in native mode or converted to PCM, DSD128 converted to PCM.)

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, mav52 said:

Just a thought, Maybe OPPO is looking at not having direct competition with the own newly released Sonica DAC/Streamer which does offer Tidal. 

That could be part of it.  With Oppo releasing DACs (HA-1, HA-2, Sonica), wouldn't surprise me to see them adding more DACs to the audio lineup.  And that means added features in those potential products vs. the disc players.

Should also mention that Oppo received a lot of feedback after the 203 & 205 were announced that the price on these new units better be the same or close to the 103 and 105.  Skipping circuitry, licensing and costs for things like HDCD decoding, apps, etc. certainly helped in that department.  

Sometimes it comes down to what is more important - keeping the price down or more features.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, zoltan said:

Just a brief note on the issue of not having Netflix streamer installed. I talked to a knowledgeable Oppo dealer at a big show who said that some of the bigger companies agreed with Netflix that they would not sell the licence to smaller ones so they will be able to divide the streaming market among themselves. So it was not Oppo's decision in his view. Maybe the reason why they didn't include other apps was not to make this obvious?  

When the UDP-203 and UDP-205 were announced last year, Oppo said that their goal was to add 4K video to the new players but to keep the pricing as close to the 103 and 105 as possible.  

To do this (adding more features while keeping prices low), the streaming apps would likely be not included in the new players. That's how it ended up in the final designs.

22 hours ago, robocop said:

This does not negate a stand alone dedicated DAC which by all accounts is probably better with these new chips. I will not be comparing with the DAC3 as its price for me is 70% more.

Yes, the Oppo players offer a lot for the price.  But a higher priced standalone DAC generally offers even better sound quality.