IGNORED

Class D amplifiers, can a chip sound as good as a regular amplifier?

As an actual owner of a Hypex NCore NC500 based Nord One dual mono amplifier I can chim in that it's probably one of the most cost efficient things I've ever bought. I was looking at upgrading to a quite expensive integrated amp costing many times more, but then I was hooked by the 100+ pages Nord thread in another forum (starting with audio and ends with a sharp toothed fish), I read it with excitement from start to finish and just couldn't resist doing an "experiment". So instead of upgrading my amp, I actually "downgraded" quite a lot money-wise and at the same time I upgraded my DAC instead. Balancing money back and forth...

I had an idea about a neutral powerful amp, with any possible warmth or colouring coming from a LampizatOr DAC only (balanced with volume control). I would say the experiment was very successful and I'm very happy with the result. I do not hear any of the shortcomings one normally thinks about with class D, as lifeless, boring, too perfect etc. I think class D has come a long way, and I'm pretty sure this is only the beginning as well. Just look at the Aavik U-300, which was recently praised as best integrated of the year (not cheap though).

1 hour ago, unbalanced output said:

Hi, I apologise in advance for getting way out of topic here, but which Lampi model did you get and does it have ss or tube regulator? I'm very curious about how does it sound in a very transparent system since I'm gonna give it a try myself.

Golden Atlantic, tube rectifier, balanced, volume control. It's difficult to describe how it sounds in words, but as I already said I'm very happy with the combination and don't really miss anything. I honestly think any Lampi model would be a good match.

Next week I'll hopefully get a passive preamp from Music First to try and see if it makes any difference. Not that I feel that I need it, but I'm curious to try it...

9 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Nice.

The power transformer is likely a big component of the weight.  Class D really really really needs clean power because that awesome power efficiency means that the power supply is essentially hooked up directly to the speakers so I trust that in that $2k you got at least $100 of power transformer ;) 

The Nord One amp contains two Hypex SMPS1200A700 PSU’s according to specs.... it's a true dual mono configuration with double of everything, even in the one-box stereo version.

I definitely can attest that it benefits from good power though, I have an Ansuz Diamond power cable to my Nord, costing several times more than the amp itself, which might not make sense, and especially not in this thread, but it sure did make an improvement over a less powerful cable I tried first (same brand, lower level).