IGNORED

Melco N1A lack of air and ambiance

While I have no experience running the Mac Mini I ran my MacBook Pro with roon connecting thru USB to my Dac before getting the Melco N1ZH which does have a beefier power supply. I think I might be a minority but I have never been really impressed with a USB for audio and I have run it with the Ifi and AQ jitter bug' for me isolated ethernet with LPS powering on the switch and router, battery powered SMC 100 to dac has so much more midrange, transparency and timber. Ethernet just sounds more real to me then USB.

I have the Arye QX 5 Twenty and its ethernet is optimized along with the USB, even Arye saids the QX 5 ethernet sounds better then the USB, I agree with you on the power supplies and it look like the N1ZH has a pretty good power supply but all give you that one, USB at its best your right there Im sure, I have also tried the Melco vis QA Diamond USB to the QX 5 and ethernet still sounds much better.

Please enlighten which USB set up is best so I may compare the 2 and decide which sounds best in my set up.

I paid $3200 for my Melco here in Viet Nam.

• 4 months later...

Hi Vangelis, The USB grounding cable you can get thru Entreq , hopefully you have a local Entreq dealer who usually well let you try the Entreq out for a couple of weeks and ask for a couple of cables and one being a USB ground cable. The cables have spades on one end that attach to the Entreq post at the back of the box..Entreq has several different models that can be economical to pricey but their worth it. I would recommend to start with the Entreq Silver first which has four post to hook up 4 opponents, Preamp, Dac, server, and inputs on your amp or integrated. They also have different grounding cables at various price points that enhance the effective ground. You will hear slight improvements right away but well take 24 to 48 hrs to start hearing the effect and two weeks for the full effect, if you don't thin you hear a difference unplug everything and you'll hear what you missed. Be warned once unplugged you have to start from the beging again to get the full effect. 

The cables which for the most part have RCA that you attach to your components output and then spade connect4d to the Entreq spade, Their is alot more you can learn by research so I will keep it simple.

I started out with the Silver Entreq and then moved quickly to the Poseidon, Olympus Minimus and Silver minimus .

Your N1ZH/2 has a USB Dac out put plus a USB 3.0, connect the Entreq grounding cable to the USB 3.0

Good luck keep me posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently using the paid Mconnect app, I prefer the paid app version vs the light version for the landscape mode using my iPad. Its pretty good overall with occasional drop outs. 

Charles Hansen saids there is a really good app review and recommendation I believe on the latest Issue of Hi Fi magazine but I cant find a copy here in Viet Nam. Anyone knows what app Charles is speaking of please post it for us, reportedly it cost around $50.00 , not sure.