IGNORED

Article: Dynamic Range: No Quiet = No Loud

I am guessing what I have to say has some connection to the article as I am not too in-tuned with mastering and mixing techniques but no doubt that I have lost the full ability to ever listen to studio recording albums ever again. The overall quality you really can't budge, the added reverb tail is also not too bad but something is missing and I am guessing its the dynamics.

I agree my room is more like a studio control room which doesn't help with recreating a the perfect musical space but adding some lateral reflections and increasing the overall reverbrance isn't going to magically make the studio track sound spectacular. Contrary to this, I do listen to a lot of late 90' electronic music which I feel actually sounds good in my room and although I can still ascertain differences in the quality of the mixing especially with added reverb it seems once I switch back to say Jazz, Rockn'Roll or any other music that can be played live with instruments and a vocalist just doesn't cut it with a studio recording.

Once I switch to live recordings, the envelopment and spaciousness is something different, of course you can still hear a difference in the recording, mixing and mastering but mostly you get a dynamic feel with natural reverberance. Now, I am guessing this phenomenon is the lack of dynamics which Mitcho is talking about and it is really disappointing cause I am also guessing that studio recordings have the potential to be mixed with the studio recording feel but with the right dynamics not to make it sound to dull.