IGNORED

Trouble with iPhone Remote

I posted this over at AudioKarma, where I usually waste my time :) but they couldn't help me there and someone suggested that you would be the people to get an answer from.

Here's my problem. I downloaded the iTunes remote app for my iPhone but I can't get it to find my library. I entered the code from the phone into iTunes and it shows my phone in the menu. iTunes is set to look for the iPhone.

I have a Mac Mini and all my iTunes library is on an external hard drive. I connect to the internet wirelessly with an Apple Airport that is connected to the modem via ethernet cable.

The firewall on my modem is set to basic (there is no off) and my firewall on the mac is set to Set Access for Specific Services and Application and the iPhone is listed.

iTunes is on when I'm trying to do this. When I first entered the password from the iPhone into iTunes, the phone showed up on the left side of the screen but still didn't connect.

Any suggestions on how I can get this up and running. My tube DAC will be here in a day or two and I don't want to get up off the couch to change songs.

Also, I hope that this is posted in the right forum.

Thanks alot

Chad

Fantom G-Force 2TB 7200RPM[br]USB->[br]Late 2010 Mac Mini 2.4 GHz, OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM ->[br]iTunes/Audirvana->[br]TosLink->[br]Xaing Sheng DAC-01A [br]Denon DVD2900[br]Thorens TD145/Audio Technica AT440MLa[br]->[br]McIntosh MX110Z ->[br]Two (2) McIntosh MC-30 ->[br]White Lightning Moonshine speaker wires->[br]Klipsch La Scala[br]

1) Make sure Itunes is running

2) Make sure your Itunes preferences/devices has the Look for remotes checked

2a) You might try telling Itunes preferences to forget all Remotes and then add them back.

3) Make sure you have the latest version of Remote 1.3.2 (6) I think

4) You might try resetting the network connections on your Iphone. On the Iphone it is SettingsGeneralReset (all the way at the bottom of the menu). This will force you to re-enter all your network passwords and settings to your router. Make sure the network settings for your network connection shows your router IP and the IP address of your Iphone

5) If you can connect to your Mini running Itunes but it can't find your networked drive, try putting a few tunes local in Itunes and repointing your library to your local machine. I am very skeptical this will change much. If your Mini can find the Itunes library, the remote should be able to also since it is just connecting to your Mini.

6) Is the Mini recognized on your network? E.g can it bring up the internet? Can you see its IP in your router admin screen?

Thanks I did all those thing and more. I called Apple support yesterday and the guy had me doing all sorts of stuff. The best idea he came up with was to take it to the Apple Store and see what they can do. Since the drive went out on my Mini I was going to take it there anyway.

Tech support was stumped. Apparently this isn't a problem that comes up.

Chad

Fantom G-Force 2TB 7200RPM[br]USB->[br]Late 2010 Mac Mini 2.4 GHz, OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM ->[br]iTunes/Audirvana->[br]TosLink->[br]Xaing Sheng DAC-01A [br]Denon DVD2900[br]Thorens TD145/Audio Technica AT440MLa[br]->[br]McIntosh MX110Z ->[br]Two (2) McIntosh MC-30 ->[br]White Lightning Moonshine speaker wires->[br]Klipsch La Scala[br]

I suspect you might have firewall issues. For a start turn off the firewall on your Mac and see if you can access the library. If this makes no difference you can eliminate the firewall as a suspect, if it does allow you to connect then you'll need to alter the firewall settings.

cheers

Paul

The firewall is turned off. Doesn't help

Thanks anyway.

Chad

When I first enter the code from the iPhone into iTunes the phone shows up in iTunes. When I press enter after entering the code the phone disappears. But the iPhone shows the library name when it is searching for the library.

Chad

That sounds like correct behaviour. I actually just had a similar problem after my Mac went to sleep - couldn't connect to iTunes Library. Quitting and reopening iTunes solved the issue.

BTW what versions of iTunes/Remote are you using?

I have iTunes 9.0.2 and what ever the latest version of the remote is (I just downloaded it about a week ago and haven't seen any updates).

I've turned iTunes on and off, rebooted the computer, the iPhone and my Airport. All to no avail. I've erased the settings in my Airport and reentered them and erased the network settings on my phone and erased and re-added the library on the phone but still nothing works.

Keep coming up with suggestions, maybe something will work!

Chad

I'm no techie, but i would suspect something wrong with your router. There is an issue with the latest versions of Remote in having difficulty finding the library, but in your case, it can find it, just wont connect to it. (a router restart usually fixed the usual problem).

Try connecting the mini to the router with ethernet cable. If still nothing, share the mini's ethernet connection over wireless and connect the iphone to that wireless network - at least you can determine if the airport's wireless functions are behaving if nothing else.

[br]Mac Mini > Lio-8 > Graaf Gm-20 > Stax ESL-F83x[br]Ipod / Wadia Dock / Wadia 830 > ULN-2 > Krell KAV400xi > B&W 805

Here is a new twist. Today I finally remembered to power up the MacBook and see if I could connect to it's iTunes. I used the same network as the mini was on, used the same Airport Extreme, everything was the same. This time it hooked up with no problem.

I need to have the CD drive replaced on the Mini and I think that I'll make an appointment to see what they think.

Chad

A problem that I have seen before: are you running a 2.4Ghz wireless phone network - Any 2.4 G network can interfere with the wireless router; the symptoms are intermittent connection as the mac address fails and retrys. One way around it is to restrict the wireless network to 5G in the router config.

/Paul

Serious Listening:[br]Intel Mac Pro 6G (SSD) -> Amarra ->Alpha USB ->Alpha I Dac -> Ayre KX-R -> Tom Evans Linear Class A -> Avantgarde Mezzo Horns (107db) + Basshorns-> Engineered Room (Power, Traps, Helmholtz Resonators, Ceiling Diffusers)[br]Computer Listening:Intel Mac Pro 6G -> Lavry DA10 -> Adams S3A Active Monitors

Are you talking about a cordless phone? If so my cordless phone is a 5.8 Ghz. Also when I connected the laptop with the iPhone I was only a few feet away from the phone.

Chad

Well, I went to the Apple Store and never got a chance to ask about the app problem. What a mess the whole "Genius Bar" thing is. I had three things to have done and they weren't able to take care of two of them so I left before they had a chance to look at the iPhone.

When I go back after Christmas, I'll try again.

Chad