IGNORED

Best wired solution for multiple zones

I really enjoy being able to play the same music off my Mini in my living room & bedroom simultaneously. I'm currently doing so via Airport Express in my bedroom, but I'm growing frustrated with its lack of reliability. And I assume it is a weak link in my sq chain. Is there a good wired solution for this and retain high sound quality?

I believe I would need about a 50' run of whatever cable/wire. Is ethernet the way to go? How would this be achieved? I assume a second computer in the bedroom is required?

Clueless & curious,

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Have you tried Wiring the Airport Express - a lot of people with problems have found using wired connection solves them.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

No, haven't tried this, but how do you mean - ethernet from Extreme or from Mini to Express? Would any type of ethernet cable suffice, or is special attention to cable quality required? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Eliose

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

If possible, I'd run one ethernet cable from your MacMini to the Airport Extreme (router) and a second from MacMini to Airport Express (player). Standard cat5 cables

If you can only manage one cable, then MacMini to Airport Express is best option.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

that wiring by ethernet from computer to an Airport Extreme turned a flaky wireless network into one that is 100% reliable. [My wireless transmission is picked up by an Apple TV 15m away - this is hardwired (optically) to my DAC.)]

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

I just ran some cat5 connecting my time capsule router to my mini in the living room. A whole set of problems were eliminated. No more losing the mini from the network requiring a restart, much quicker response when using screen sharing, and now coverflow works when previously it didn't. I was ready to buy a sonos before I spent ten bucks on some cat5 and now am happy.

Dave

Thanks y'all. Wiring mini to extreme will be easiest first step. Though I'm not quite clear on how that will improve express drop-outs. Does wireless signal go from mini to extreme to express?

Seems wiring from mini to express would give me a pretty faultless connection. If I had that, I'm not clear what the mini-to-extreme wiring will give me, audio-wise. Except maybe guaranteeing no interference while playing internet radio. AFAIK, I'm only using internet on the mini for Pandora & software updates.

Thanks so much for the input. I'll try these steps. But won't the Express still be limiting my SQ? Should I think eventually about removing it from the chain, or will it make little difference? How would I replace then Express' functionality - ethernet to a computer & somehow computer out to the dac? Airfoil Speakers or some such thing. Overkill?

Thanks,

Rascal

You ask if your AirPort Express is the limiting factor in Sound Quality - well that all depends what equipment you are connecting it to and how you are connecting it.

Depending on exactly how you have your Wireless networking devices connected - you may find that your networking signals go ...

MacMini --> AirPort Extreme --> AirPort Express

Multiple wireless signals will always have the potential to degrade the SQ due to dropouts, etc. If you have to use wireless, try to only use one computer - AirPort Express. You didn't say - but are the files stored on your computer or via network from NAS?

I wouldn't rush to replace the AirPort Express as there is little which has the potential for better sound (greater than 16/44.1) without spending a lot of money. Sonos may give superior results because of it's wireless mesh technology - but the sound quality will be similar.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Thanks Eliose,

What I meant that, assuming I switch my current wireless setup to a wired one (let's say mini wired to express & mini wired to extreme), won't the extreme still limit sound quality? (Not sure why this would be the case, but I've heard of it referred to as more of a mid-fi piece of gear.)

My files are stored on an external HD connected via firewire to the mini (though I'll probably replace the HD w/ a Drobo sometime). The express is connected via optical to a MF V-DAC. For now I'm sticking to 16/44.1 files and focusing on upgrading my hardware. But if there's no better alternative to the express sq-wise, guess I'll be content to stick with it and focus on upgrading my amp & speakers.

Thanks again,

Rascal