IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers UNDER $2,500 that You've Ever Heard.?

Ralf11

Actually a not good reviewer. He has amps for the winter, spring/fall and summer and his room off by his own admission. Remember anybody can be a reviewer.

I actually like his reviews - he does mostly cheap speakers, but is thorough, publishes measurements, and is not afraid to be honest when speakers don't sound good, which in itself is refreshing... as there are so many bad speakers out there especially in lower price points.

He did like the Elac B5, and the Pioneer BS22 (with some correction - I have the BS22 and feel the same way about them). He also has a sense of humor.

I think the best approach is to listen for the experience of the music rather than the equipment. If it gives you the same tingle that you get from live performance of the music you prefer in the setting(s) you prefer, it's emotionally accurate. That, for me, is far preferable to the cold and sterile presentations I've heard from many systems with lower measured distortion and technically "better" specs.

I went over to a big box retailer to hear a cheap pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers (SPBS22?) that got a rave review from Stephen Mejias a few years ago and listed for about $130/pair. Yes, they were incredible (especially for the price) despite their clear limitations, e.g. low bass - they had that special something that makes you hear the music through them. For those who haven't seen this interview with Andrew Jones (the designer of both the Pioneers and the TAD Evolution 1s), he offers some pretty sage counsel, e.g.

"In the design process, I firstly use music I am intimately familiar with, much of it music that I obtain from studios and engineers where I have either listened in when the recordings have been made, or am able to get the opinion of the recording engineers as to the capability of the speaker. This is generally the same music that I use at shows. Additionally, it is always music that I personally find emotionally involving. I rarely play music that is simply a “demo” piece. Even with the dynamically spectacular type pieces, they are still ones that I enjoy listening to. This way I know that if a prototype doesn’t give me that emotional connection, then it isn’t yet tuned correctly."

"Clearly, a good speaker is one that has wide bandwidth, low distortion, controlled directivity, and high resolution. However, it should not be resolving in a way that initially sounds impressive, but ultimately fails to be musically satisfying. I want to relax back in my seat when listening, not be on the edge of my seat. Too many systems sound like 'hi-fi!'”

The AJ-designed Pioneer series go on a list of "best speakers ever for under $300" for sure!

++1.

I have the Pioneer, and they do a lot of things "right". You can pay a lot more for far less enjoyment.

In the ultimate budget category, I also have a pair of small powered speaker, "Genius", sold on Amazon for 30€, and they kick a** - sound much better than an entry model Q Acoustics I had, costing 3x the price.

I have a feeling with speakers it can really be "hit and miss", whatever the price range.