IGNORED

Discussion of AC mains isolation transformers

The isolation transformer I'm using is a Topaz model, it is a very special transformer. It has extremely low inter-winding capacitance (.005pf according to the manufacturer). Most transformers have two mechanisms that transfer AC from one side to the other: magnetic and capacitive. The magnetic part is low frequency (it is what the 50/60Hz mains signal uses) and the capacitive is high frequency. The combination means that a "normal" transformer lets a lot of high frequency crud through.

John S.

How big, John? About 1 kVA for a stereo with PC system?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

• 3 weeks later...
Another decent no-filter-element, heavy-duty USA power strip series is this one from TrippLite.

12 Outlet Vertical Power Strip 120V 15A 6 ft Cord 5 15P 36 in (PS361206) | Tripp Lite

Attractive extruded aluminum housing, outlets that grip like crazy, and a 14awg cord. The linked 12-outlet version is $41.

The only problem with that Tripplite is that it has a 15A breaker. I would think this Tripplite hard wired version would be better and made for 20A, no breaker. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B820/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=13RTTM92VAYI&coliid=ICJ1VG4X0JQSS&psc=1

But you will need to wire in your own plug, which is probably better so you can match your transformer receptacle and get the exact length you need.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I can just tell that it looks like a good build and fairly priced. Any opinion if it is a good choise or not?

Where are the measurements? JS already said if it doesn't provide good measurements it's probably not a good solution.

• 6 months later...

Next you'll need to call up your ISP and start powering their components with a LPS.  LOL, this is why online streaming will never equal data streaming from a personal hard drive.  No loss, who needs online streaming. 

21 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Many sq improvements, Tidal or local, are gained by the very same "tweaks". However, my guess is that Tidal will gain more by loosing the HDDs (and by loosing the NAS as well)! ;) 

How do you figure that?  How does Tidal use the HDD's currently?  Are you not streaming from online with Tidal, thus no HDD's enter the picture?

I would argue the opposite, if you could save streaming Tidal files to HDD, you would be able to get the best SQ possible and not have to worry about using LPS's on the first node.

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I use to have local content with JplayStreamer/BubbleDS Next on a W10 PC. Loosing the external HDD did make a difference for the better with Tidal. IMO anything that consumes power is a possible threat to SQ. Loosing anything that uses power and are not neccessary for the job is always worth considering.

This doesn't make sense.  How do you think Tidal streams get to your home?  With zero power on the components needed?  With HDD's, you have far more control over the quality of the power and streaming those files, locally.  First, I would dump all wireless streaming, hardwire only and incorporate power supplies with isolation transformer.  This should far exceed any internet streaming in SQ, if it doesn't, your doing it wrong.

5 minutes ago, Cornan said:

You are missing the point. We are not discussing local vs Tidal, but how to improve Tidal. If you do have ideas how to improve Tidal please share them instead of practice face slappings! ?

Which leads to the question of your statement of how you can save tidal streams to HDD?  I would think the whole concept of online streaming is that you can't save any data to HDD?  So how does HDD come into play in your above posts? In particular this statement you made?

"Loosing the external HDD did make a difference for the better with Tidal. "

"However, my guess is that Tidal will gain more by loosing the HDDs (and by loosing the NAS as well)! "

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I am not saying anything about saving Tidal stream to HDD. Even if I have read that it is possible it would be illegal and unethical and certainly not something I would recommend doing. Removing the external HDD is only a way to reduce power consumption (drawn by the HDD), minimize any ground connections inbetween devices (USB) and possibly reduce other noises from the HDD (spinning). It will improve local and Tidal, but if you have local music stored on that HDD you're out of luck!  

You really should have your HDD powered separately.  A LPS-1 works great.  I never hear an HDD spinning, encased or not.  Doubt it helps one bit, getting rid of HDD, in fact Larry found the SSD worse for SQ.  I think you have much bigger problems with online streaming SQ than to have to worry about a little old HDD.  But since you can't go outside and change the power supply on the local node, guess your out of luck!