IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

I'm trying to update firmware on the LS50w. First it was stuck on the "left speaker", but after some fiddeling I managed to get it going again. Now It's stuck on left speaker, saying Left speaker is disconnected and I should reboot. But doing that get the same result: Error Code: 102).

4 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

Ugh.

Glad they don't have the Mac updater out yet.

No wonder this update is essentially hidden.

10 minutes ago, ecmfidelity said:

I'm trying to update firmware on the LS50w. First it was stuck on the "left speaker", but after some fiddeling I managed to get it going again. Now It's stuck on left speaker, saying Left speaker is disconnected and I should reboot. But doing that get the same result: Error Code: 102).

Eh, I meant I was first stuck on "right speaker" but fixed it and now completely stuck on "left speaker" :(

11 minutes ago, gbryant said:

paper clip press of the tiny button on the back of the master speaker... it's in the manual...BTW

Sorry... just realized your in the middle of a bad update... disregard.

I knew I could find the answer easily by my self, I guess I just wanted to reach out :) Thanks...

7 minutes ago, tuan209 said:

My speakers got stuck during the firmware update and I had to master reset in order to reinstall the firmware.  

Here are the steps

a.       Unplug all cables,

b.       Plugin interconnectcable between master and slave

c.       Plugin AC cable in SLAVE only

d.       Use paperclip and press the factory reset

e.       Without releasing, plugin the AC into the master

f.        This should trigger the UPGRADE mode

g.     Run the update again

Please let me know if this solves the issue you are having.

Thank you, I just tried this. I did not do any difference for me. I guess it is because it's stuck in a firmware update. Just to be sure - the reset button is the lower recessed button, right? I shall not touch the grey, rubber thing above that?

1 minute ago, tuan209 said:

Thats odd!

Mine was stuck halfway through the firmware update too and idled for a few hours. 

Ya, the reset button is the lil button behind the speakers. It can only be access with a paper clip.  

Give it another go?  

If it doesnt work, give Kef a call.  They are pretty responsive and helpful.

Tuan

I'm going to take a beer and listen to some music (on my headphones). I'll give it another try in the morning - It's bedtime i a couple of hours here :) I'll be back.

2 minutes ago, tuan209 said:

Hey Guys!

Quick question!

What is the best way to hook up the LS50w to a receiver?

I have an old Marantz 1506 with preouts.  

Would I have to set the gains on the speakers and receiver?

Also, should I run any type room correction on the receiver?  

I basically looking to add back that LFE channel for movies since the sub out on the Kefs do not support that.  

Tuan

You don't need the receiver. You want to use the digital inputs. If you use the pre-outs on your receiver to the analogue in on the LS50W, the signal is converted to digital. I would either buying passive LS50 to the receiver or skip the reciver and use the LS50W as a complete set, ie. source/amp/speakers.

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I had a successful update:

1. Windows 7 64bit
2. The computer must be connected to the Internet (mine is hard wired by Ethernet cable to local network)
3. The speaker must be in Wi-Fi mode and connected to the internet (hard wired to my network via Ethernet cable)
4. I disabled my Norton firewall Firewall / Anti-virus

5. Ensure you use the KEF Ethernet cable between Left and Right

6. Download and run installation software:

http://us.kef.com/product-support

I use the iPad app.

P.S. I had the firewall issue.  KEF support by phone was prompt and friendly.. 

I had the default Windows firewall active. That might be it. Forgot about it because I don't have any third party protection.

My problem is solved. KEF LS50w or KEF didn't have any role in my problems. In the beginning, I suspect it was my neglect to avoid turning off the Windows Firewall. Please do that if you want to avoid problems!

Somewhere in the process when I unconnected all cables I also think I manage to put the speaker interconnect in the Internet RJ45 - the speaker was kind of hard to reach so I couldn't see what I was doing, and forgot there is to two RJ45 females on the master speaker.

KEF Rocks and the LS50 wireless sounds amazing!!!

21 minutes ago, stewboss said:

Am I right in thinking that if I connect the speakers to my imac directly via USB, I can avoid using the flaky app and all the networking / connectivity issues that have been reported on here? iTunes and Audirvana will do just fine for me.

I've been interested in buying these from the day they were announced but have been put off somewhat by the negative reports about the app and poor after sales support from Kef.

Sure, you can connect to USB, use the "PC" selection and do most of the room settings at the backside of the master speaker. But I wouldn't hesitate to use the app if I were you. For one thing, you can fine tune the room settings in the app. I mostly use it with the USB, but connected to a microRendu. It's practically the same situation as the one you describe. I rarely use the app at all. I already had Tidal via Roon, for one thing.