IGNORED

New Amarra 4

In earlier versions of Amarra wasn't there a large number of people demanding Amarra get rid of the connection to iTunes. This in fact lead to the playlist function so that people could enjoy Amarra playback without the need to have iTunes running. No that Amarra has done what large numbers of people asked for and came up with a solution that does not require iTunes we get the other end of the spectrum asking for iTunes intergration !!!!

Regards

Mark

In the interests of full disclosure I was an early Amarra adoptee and have continued through to AS3 with IRC however I have not upgraded to Version 4 yet as I thought I would wait until Tidal intergration and up sampling was available. Now I might need to wait a bit longer until the issue with IRC is resolved. 

13 hours ago, DancingSea said:

It’s nice to have a choice. A3 allowed the option to integrate with iTunes. Audirvana has the same option. 

Its makes little sense to eliminate iTunes integration mode in A4. 

I thought the consenses was that having iTunes running in parallel with Amara had a negitive impact on sound quality and this was the reason many users wanted Amara to operate without iTunes intergration. I have no way to verify if this is true but if iTunes intergration has a negartive impact on sound quality do you really want this option?

From all reports the Amara 4 without iTunes intergration is the best sounding version yet. Perhaps we should be encouraging Sonic Studio to keep improving the library function of Amara 4.

Regards

Mark

• 1 month later...

Jos,

Isn't Amarra on top of iTunes what we already had with Amarra 3 ?

One of the main issues with Amarra 3 was that it sounded better in playlist mode without iTunes running.

But for those who are looking to retain iTunes integration the existing Amarra 3 might be the answer for general listening with the option to use Amarra 4 (without iTunes and perhaps a much reduced library size) when you are looking for the best sound quality.

Regards

Mark

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, DancingSea said:

For me, there needs to be DSD over DoP and DSD upsampling before I get too excited. 

All the other major major players have had these features for a very long time. 

Excuse my lack of knowledge on some of the otherr playets but do any of the players that support DSD over DoP and DSD upsampling also provide itunes intergration ?

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Yes works fine for me too. For me even tidal is working well through A4.

Only negative for me is the remote app doesn’t work properly. From memory this is something Sonic Studios is aware of so hopefully there will be an update for the app soon. (please !!!!)

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/04/2018 at 12:15 PM, GregWormald said:

Interesting, how high did you go??Were there any other changes?

I still get occasional very soft clicks--not every track--on 1024 which is the highest mentioned. I'll give 2048 and more a try.

I will check what buffer setting I adjusted it too on the weekend when I next fire up the stereo. 

Because I do not need to sync to video or anything I just pushed it up to a fairly large buffer setting to ensure any clicks were gone.

Like I said above I am having no real issues with the current version of A4L except for the remote app which as I mentioned in an earlier post seems like it could do with an update. Still I expect Amarra’s focus was on getting A4 working well for most of us. Perhaps they will now have the time to get the remote app loading faster.

Did the larger buffer setting work for you ? 

Regards Mark

• 1 month later...

I contrast to some others my experience with the latest version of Amarra and the recently updated remote app has been most positive. For example last night I had a great evening listening via Amarra and controlling Amarra from my iPad. No issues or crashes for me and now with Tidal intergration it does add an extra level to the listening experience. I used my iPad to do a search for a song that I knew was in my library. Not only did Amarra come up with the version in my library the search results also showed a list of other versions of the song from dirrerenet albums and artists (from Tidal). I had quite a good time listening to dirrerent interpretations and versions of the song.  I expect for those with Roon this is nothing new but for those of us don’t have Roon its great that Amarra provides this opportunity. 

A number of posts ago someone did ask what buffer setting I was using..The answer is 1024.

Anyway back to the listening for me.

Mark

• 11 months later...

Updated Amarra Lux to version 4.3.500 and now the remote app does not work.

Unlike some others, I have not had many problems with Amarra Lux until I upgraded to version 4.3.500. Now Amarra Play (the remote app on my iPad) now longer connects to Lux.

The remote app for iTunes still connects fine and Amarra Play even connects with SQ+ if I open SQ+ on my computer.

Before I spend more hours trying to sort this out I thought I would check and see if anyone else is having this problem.

Regards

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi 6rs,

Yes there was a known bug were the image moved to right. There should be previous posts on it. I thought it had been addressed in a latter version, but apparently not. I think the work around may have been to use the previous version of IIC for measuring. 

I do remember reading a number of posts on the bug, but I only used IIC for a while and did not have the problem so I am only going off memory. I moved my copy of Amarra to a new Mac, but IIC would not register on the new computer. I submitted a ticket to Sonic Studios, received a support ticket number, but nothing after that. So after paying for IIC I can no longer use it.

Regards

Mark

Hi 6rs,

One issue we did find with AudioLense was that if we did not get the mic exactly centred the image would be off centre. Carefully measuring and centering the mic before taking a new set of measurements fixed that problem. I know you are using IIC not AL and that you take multiple measurements with IIC, but perhaps it would  be worth ensuring the first measurement location is carefully entered between the speakers. Just a suggestion.

Regards Mark